• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD Double Kick

I recently started training in TKD again, this time with a friend of mine from high school. He's a 2nd dan, and his style of TKD is very different of mine. For example, at my old school, we never did double kicks. There are many other new things he's teaching me, but I'm having the most trouble with double kicks.

To clarify what I mean: double kicks are when you start out with a back leg roundhouse, then jump and throw another roundhouse with the other leg. Eventually, you're supposed to be able to throw these consecutively, to where you're throwing ten kicks right after the other.

Here's my problem: I can't get my hips to rotate enough between kicks. As a result, my kicks are pretty sloppy, and my shoulders are ending up square with my target. Also, I seem to get closer with every kick, so that by the time I'm on the third one, I'm hitting with my knees. Finally, I can't get any power off the kick at all, but I think that will probably come with time as I learn to do the kick properly.

Basically, I'm screwing the whole thing up.

I need tips for:

- Hip rotation (the sides of my abs get really sore after doing these, I don't think I have the proper muscles for this.)

- Maintaining a proper distance from the bag/target

- Overall execution of the technique

Any help would be appreciated, but especially in those three categories I mentioned. My friend has been very patient with me, but I'd like to get this down before his patience wears thin! Thanks :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not sure I can help but it sounds to me like it is a balance problem that makes you move forward on the kicks. This is a favorite kick of mine and it does take good balance and form to execute so I would start by breaking down your technique. Make sure each kick is completed properly (including position of your non-kicking leg) before doing the next. Speed will come with lots of practice. Also, if your upper body is too stiff you will not be able to rotate fast enough and you'll end up looking like a Rockette!! Loosen up a bit girl!!! Lastley, your sides are sore because your obliques are working hard to rotate-they will get in shape eventually.

Hope this helps!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Well monkey girl if this is like a jumping round kick followed by another jumping round kick from the other side then i think i can help a little. For myself at least with ta 360 round kick, although not with any other jump kick, I tend to move forward...ALOT. I usually have to stand abtou 6 ft from what im eventually going to hit and I cant help it. But in my case and probably in your case too you are pushing off the ball of your foot. So instead of just hopping from one foot to the other your actually jumping forward alittle to the other foot. One thing you can try is to eliminate the kick and just work on the switch. Once you get the switch down you will be able to add the kick easily.

Long Live the Fighters!

These sound like WTF 45degree kicks, which will feel and look sloppy if your from a different style. like running forwards with straight legs to waist height to the front :D

I don't like these kicks either, as the kick tends to come from the floor, i often just end up kicking peoples elbows (my opponents are generally freestylists). I do often use this kick in pairs, ie left-right. But when i do any more then that i just look daft.

I'm guessing the reason your sore is because you are trying to throw this kick properly and really rotating your hips, just keep your hips fairly square and throw the kick from the floor.

Good luck!

B

That's true, he did say that 45's would be easier to throw. That still takes a lot of hip rotation however, to be able to go from one to the next.

Thanks, everyone! Keep 'em coming :)

I wish I seen this thread sooner. I needed help on double kicks too :(

Anyways, I was trying to learn this kick for a while, and I was having a lot of trouble, also. But like Bretty101 said, they are 45 degree roundhouses, not full roundhouses, which I was trying to do and couldn't get the rotation :( Soon as I tried the 45's, both kicks came out pretty good.

As far as moving forward: it's ok as long as you are using this kick in sparring and your partner is "running" (backwards). If you are using it as a fake (first leg "fakes" the first roundhouse and the second one lands), moving forward might be a problem. Try to "hop" straight up. Not too high, but just enough to throw the first kick.

I hope this helped (and made sense LOL).

Laurie F

Thanks again for your help, everyone.

Heidi: thanks for the tip! I tried relaxing my upper body and the kicks were much easier. I think I'm getting closer to getting this down. Obviously, the muscle training will be a big part.

Still welcoming more tips :)

Double kicks can be done the 45 way but after awhile, you'll want to start using more proper kicking technique. The kick shouldn't just come from the floor, you should chamber like a normal round kick... Think of it as running with high knees but with kicks when the knee comes up...