• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm learning Unsu

stl_karateka

I call it 360 for short cause I'm only speaking of the orientation...such that you do one full rotation. Its actually a double kick....crescent with the right leg and spin side kick with the left.....but I gotta crawl before I can walk
KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crescent kick and back kick. Not a side kick. And I see people usually concentrating too much to the jump. Forget the jump - just do a quick crescent kick for the first 180°, then do a quick back kick while dropping down the last 180°. It isn't very difficult. When you get this done, do it as an one fluid movement. Then, switch the kicks in the air like you'd do a nidan maegeri. Presto! You've mastered the Unsu jump.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Thanks Jussi ---

I meant back kick -- my bad!

I visited a Shotokan Dojo again and thats how they broke it down to me....crescent 180 then back kick --- however we integrated the jump just before the back kick. I think that was more confusing --- I'm going to try your idea and commit to getting the motion in muscle memory then adding the jump. That is what my currrent instructor wants me to do anyway :) And I usually do...then he comes out there and does it with me and gets that jump and I just gotta try again!!!

KarateForums.com Sempai

I saw unsu been done at the nationals (BKF) the other weekend, which was brilliant, and even better in the team kata, with the applied Bun ki (is that how u spell it???)

it maid me ashamed of mu unsu, possibly because i have not seen it been done properly for years.

did any one doto the competition and any advie on how to get that good.

but what a brilliant and difficult kata, always something to be learnt in it.

PS what a wicked website.

oliver willison

Ooo, I went to the same competition (just watching mind you) and you're right it was amazing! The team kata stood out, especially unsu in the finals which was breathtaking. Unsu seemed to be the favourite kata, along with kanku sho and nijushiho... and a particular wado kata that I didn't know the name of but that I must have seen about twenty times that day! Yeah, it was a great day... I wish I could be as good as those guys are!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

what about if they can teach it, use to do it in competitions, but are unable to do it now due to ill health (hearth conditions).

he can describe it all to me about the application and shows little bits, but unable to do the kata all the way through.

hopefully will be better after the operation.

but yes when he did do it it was excellent.

oliver willison