• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm learning Unsu

stl_karateka

I get all excited about new katas!

Unsu is going to be my new tournament kata :)

My instructor thinks that I can show off my kicks and balance a little more in that kata and not lose the ability to set in a good firm cat stance which judges seem to love.

He also realizes I'm crazy enough to go for the air on the 360 crescent/side kick.

My tournament kata aresenal is:

kunsanku

chinto

gojushiho

unsu (at least --- it will be)

I think each of them has traits which make them winners.

KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, its a great kata.

I highly recomend it for the YOUNG and agile. Unless you tie a wire around me like the matrix I have about a snowballs chance in hell to

pull that jump off. :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

you're learning one of my favourite kata's..... and i have never found any sensei who could teach me that. i hope i will in the future. i'm gonna master that kata. it's my target in kata's.

Kill is love

What are you other target katas?

When I was a white belt I saw Kusanku performed and it was enough to drive me to want to learn that kata (which wasnt til purple belt)

By the time I learned it I was so hooked on MA I wasn't going anywhere!

The 360 is going to take some work. I can get some decent air on the 180 cresent in Kusanku. I saw pic in a book last night and this Okinawan guy got some MAJOR air!!! It was insane!!!!! My instructor was telling me that most people just cheat and do the crescent 360 and he has not seen anyone live pull off the 360 crescent AND side kick. I'm certainly going to give it my all!!!!!

KarateForums.com Sempai

another kata I really wanna master is Chatanyara Kushanku.

Slight correction for a name...

Chatan Yara no Kusanku. Chatan Yara is a name of a person. "No" refers that the version is his - rough translation would be "Chatan Yara's Kusanku".

And yes, it is a nice kata.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Well, good luck with it!

Unsu is one of my next 'target' kata. Now I've fairly much nailed the jumps in Kanku-Sho and Enpi (and had the bruises to prove it!) I'd like to move onto Unsu eventually.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!