• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Single Kata Study

cymry

Has anyone done this? If you have, please share your experiences.

Read the book 'Five Years, One Kata'. It's about one man's study of Gojushiho Dai I think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would be bored to tears only working on one kata for five years!

I have to wholeheartedly agree. Not only that, it would be counterproductive, since some applications only become clear as you study further and advance your knowlege, which implies studying other katas as well. Are you sure he didn't concentrate mostly on that one kata but continue studying others as well?

Freedom isn't free!

I would say it would take that long or longer to break it down good.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It is said it takes 10 years to master Kusanku --- its the last kata in the Matsubayshi ShorinRyu system ---- so you've worked 17 katas before you get to this one.....now, to master Kusanku --- 10 years --- do you stop working on the other 17? If anything I'd think that would be detremental to the training.

now I'm really curious cause it does bring up a good point....cymry --- what does the book say --- did he only do that one kata for 5 years or just concentrate on that kata?

KarateForums.com Sempai

I have the book, but I've only briefly flicked through it. As far as I could gather he ONLY studied that one kata for the whole 5 years. I'll let you know when I've fond time to read it!!

I'd be bored, and I'm glad there's others here that agree with me!

I think studying kata in-depth is a good thing but ...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think you can always refine your kata.

I also think its a good thing to spend a lot of time on them, but I think that just training in one kata for 5 years is a bit much, and also a bit detrimental to your other kata that you've learned too, as they're bound to get worse through lack of practise. You can learn many things from different kata, so its a good idea to try and improve your knowledge of them all.

Although, having said that, I'd like to spend a lot of time on Enpi and really work on that. I could see myself doing 5 years of Enpi, but with other kata thrown in from time to time as well to stop me getting bored!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!