• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training on ones own after 8 years of training in a Dojo

BeikokuBushido

I think what Kyokushin wrote in her last post is quite good advice. Train with the Head Master whenever you get the opportunity, but, to not let yourself fall in bad habits you could join a dojo that has a very similar style to the one you are used to. Training with other styles can help make you a more 'rounded' karateka and may help you to appreciate even more the teaching of your late sensei.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I tend to believe the opposite. I think that people continue doing karate long after it provides them any real benefit, just out of loyalty. People will continue to train in one dojo, under one instructor even if they aren't learning a darned thing just because they are loyal to thier instructor. That, in my opinion, is just going through the motions. I personally only under stand two reasons to study karate: Sport or self defense. We can fool ourselves for the rest of our lives saying we are there to improve our character or values or what have you, but in the end, it's all about the fighting or the sport. I don't need to learn martial virtues. My virtues were given to be by my parents, my friends, my teachers and my experiences. I am loyal to my friends and my family. It is true that I have loyalty to my instructor and to my dojo, because the people there have became my friends. I am not loyal to them because of some romanticized feudal warrior fantasy. If I wanted to be a warrior, I could have joined my nation's finest -- in the armed forces.

As far as training yourself, you have to answer that question. You seem to know whats up, so why couldn't you train yourself? From those options you have presented, it seems like the best one you have available.

The most insensitive post I have ever seen. Although you may not wish to fool yourself, have you ever felt that other people have different experiences in the dojo? I am sure that you are not the only one to feel the way you do smr, but I would hazard a guess to say that you are in a minority. I hardly see training alone as going through the motions. You say you only understand two reasons to study karate? Two? You need to study harder, or get imaginative. I agree with you when you say that you have not learnt any values from karate, and hope that you do one day.

Are you sure that you could join your nation's finest? I doubt it. You are clearly not one of them.

Sorry to flame.

You misunderstood part of my statement. I did not claim that training alone was simply going through the motions. I stated that doing karate when you don't enjoy it is simply going through the motions. I also think that I was pretty clear in stating that these were my opinions and my experiences, and your experience may vary. You are right about the two reason thing. I left one out. I also enjoy doing it. But what if I did only have two reasons? Who are you to tell me that my two reasons aren't good enough to practice karate?

As for the personal attack -- I must have hurt your feelings for you to take things to such a personal level. I'm sorry! Some people are just so sensitive when it comes to their karate. Shame on you to judge my entire personality based on my opinions of karate.