• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad Martial Art Clichés.

Cliche:

"Point sparring is a waste of time, it will never work on the streets."

"Tournaments are a waste of time, I don't need other people to tell me how I am progressing"

"Martial arts is not a sport, its a state of mind"

KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Point sparring is a waste of time, it will never work on the streets"

Actually I almost find that to be 100% true...point sparring is more like "tagging" rather than fighting. It may teach you how to get in on someone, but power wise and all it's nothing but tag with pads on.

-Kai

"One must train the mind before the body...for the mind controls the body..."

Actually I almost find that to be 100% true...point sparring is more like "tagging" rather than fighting. It may teach you how to get in on someone, but power wise and all it's nothing but tag with pads on.

-Kai

Funnily enough this morning we did a kinda of tag-sparring as a warm up, one had to go for the head and the other for the legs.. without having to worry about landing a good attack you learn alot from foot work and what you can get away with..

Yes...you can learn how to hit your opponent and where etc. but not so indepth that the applications will actually work. Unless of course you're a god at it ;)

I find it good for hitting the appropriate areas within a certain amount of time...but in a real fight I would never "spar" with an opponent.

-Kai

"One must train the mind before the body...for the mind controls the body..."