• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad Martial Art Clichés.

Maybe it's just me, but there are some statements that I read a LOT of various martial arts bulletin boards over and over and over again. Perhaps the author thinks they are the first person to mention it and they think they are being terribly clever, or maybe the author just lacks the ability to express themselves better. However, there are a few statements that for me, have lost all meaning. When I read them, instead of thinking critically about their opinion I merely sigh.

Usually you can stick most of them into 3 distinct camps:

1. New, eager, enthusiastic students who just read "Karate-Do: My Way of Life." have done martial arts for 20 years and only read "Karate-Do: My Way of Life." One is more depressing than the other, I'll let you figure out which ;)

2. Experienced, opinionated and bitter students who have reached about 2nd or 3rd Dan and just discovered 24fightingchickens.

3. People who have no real original thoughts (or are scared to express their own) who simply say the "profoundly wise" statements we've all heard because they think it will be automatically accepted as both wise and poignant. The "boards don't hit back" or "I still don't think I've mastered natural stance, much less jump flying spinning split kick" or "belts are only for holding up pants."

All of them represent excellent thoughts, but boil down too simply and make everyone who use them sound like they are parroting fortune cookie karate books.

Lest someone think I'm intentionally starting a flame war... I am not. I'm just hoping to encourage some people to use the internet for personal reflection rather than just swallowing crap.

(p.s. if you're guilty of one of these, and feel angry at me.. I admit to doing the same thing at times, and am merely pointing out that which can be improved. get over it. :) )

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people that think they are invincible against no matter what opponent and how many they face.

people that loose their temper the moment they loose 'face' during sparring

people that think Karate or any martial art is a 'waste of time' hahaha

people that think you can learn a martial art in a 'few week's' etc

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

Yeah, I have a good cliche. "90% of all fights end up on the ground." How many times have you heard that load?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

"My style (any style) can beat your style (any other style)."

Corallary: "my dad (Grand Poobah) can beat your dad (GM).

"I'm the baddest thing behind a keyboard anywhere!"

"Martial arts are only good for (fighting, health, self developement,...)."

"Everyone should wake up and study the same style as me, you all learn martial arts for the same reasons I do, I am the way and you should follow my lead."

"Grapplers can't strike."

"Strikers can't keep it vertical if their opponent wants it horizontal."

"The best fighter will win."

And my favorite: "Just run away!"

Freedom isn't free!

"UFC is real."

"Traditional MA's don't work."

"But what if's?" in general bug me.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

have you noticed how no one here really says that they lose fights?

i mean, some of them actually go as far as to say that they have never lost... even against better grades from the same school.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Hell, I've lost before...back in the day.

I think with experience you rarely lose as much. It might also be the fact that so many passionate good Martial Artist come to this forum...

But I assume everyone has at least been beaten once in their life time...

-Kai

"One must train the mind before the body...for the mind controls the body..."