• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure all of you have seen some Ernesto Hoost fights ... if not what is wrong with you people! he usually uses all kinds of stances - but hey, i think he's a kickboxing god so i might be biased.

I'd like to know the answer to this too, but i've noticed that quite a few vary their stances quite a bit. I didnt realise that they used short stances so often though, until you pointed it out!

:-? :-? :-?

• 1 month later...

The stance is taylored to the competition format. In competition where heavy gloves are used and the object is to KO your opponent, a shorter stance is usually best. This is doubly true for K-1, because the legs are a target, though you see much variation there as a result of the mixed backgrounds of the participants.

This does not mean that MAs which advocate deeper and/or longer stances are wrong or less useful. Their competition formats are just different. As for on the street, I think that bare knuckled fighting where grabbing and grappling is possible is significantly different from Kickboxing. I believe a deeper stance may be better on the street, but what your training has taught you is probably best, since it is what you are used to and have experience with.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido