• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things to know before buying knives

Bdaze

a few days ago i accidentally destroyed my trusty folder while building some framework in my basement. it was nothing special, cost me about 10 dollars at a department store, but somehow it survived for about 2 years until now.

so, im in the market for a new knife and i realized i dont know a whole lot about quality brands, blade materials, harware quality, temper and generally how to buy a good knife.

so i though maybe i'd start a thread so people could pool their knowledge on blade quality and knife design.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i don't really see how this will become uncivil, I must admit I am rather curious myself to learn what is involved in making a quality blade and how one can differentiate them from their cheaper counterparts

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

exactly LeaF

well said.

this isn't meant to be an argument or a comparison, more like a pooling of information.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

Well, I like knives that are balanced well. Almost like a throwing knife, only not a throwing knife, because of course they don't have much of a grip on them. I don't like knives that are very blade-heavy.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

So, what kind of knife are we looking for? Pocketknife? Work knife? Fighting knife? Whittlin' knife?

It sounds like the last one you had was a cheap, sturdy work knife, emphasis on cheap. Knives in that price range tend to be cheaply made copies of reputable types made by good companies. Nothing wrong with a cheap knife, if it does what you need, but knockoffs are another story. Knockoffs take money out of the pockets of people and companies that actually produce value. If you're not familiar with knives, you might be surprised how prevalent the knock-offs are. Most of the "Smith & Wesson" and "Colt" brand knives, as well as a lot of "United Cutlery," are knock-offs.

If I were looking for something inexpensive but very good quality, I'd look at Columbia River Knife and Tool, Kershaw, Spyderco, Case or Schrade, depending on what you want to do with the knife. For a defensive folder, Spyderco. Period. They have the price, the ergonomics, the quality, the service, and the edge that most others don't match. To compete with their quality, their edges, and their innovations, you have to go to a company that will charge you more for a knife.

CRKT is just a hair behind Spyderco in my estimation as far as innovation, but they're very inexpensive and their knives are solid.

* Ignorant Taekwondo beginner.

http://www.thefiringline.com

i recently found myself a wonderful kitchen knife.

it's called 'shun' (the brand).

it doesn't look at good as a global knife but it is way more comfortable and it's edge has held without the need for sharpening and it's been two months already.

i remember my global required whetstone about two weeks into it's use...

anyway i know you're asking about martial arts related knives but i just had to add my kitchen knife experience!

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."