• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what do you think about...

...this: i want to learn a combat/full contact art like Kyokushin, Krav Maga or Kung Fu San Soo. sadly, there arent any dojos around that teach these. since i gotta move to a bigger town in about 2 years anyway, i thought about learning one of these there. i dont want to waist my time till then so i plan to join a tkd dojang. its ITF, btw

is this a good idea? since i wanna do some other style actually... will i train stuff that only hampers my progress in the above arts because they are completly different, or could i benefit from my expierence in some way?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think that training and learning a few basics will be a good thing for you. It will help you if you do decide to switch arts in a couple of years time. You never know, though, you may enjoy TKD so much that you decide to stick with it and not change to something else! Give it a go. I think it will help you.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Training in SOMETHING is almost always better than training in NOTHING, IMHO.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

TKD will help you stay in shape and keep your stamina up until you find the art you really want to practice. Who knows, you may fall in love with TKD as many of us here have :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

TKD is better than nothing. I did TKD for a year before I saw the light. The big things I had to change was learning to do a Thai kick with momentum instead of a flippy tkd roundhouse, and keeping my head protected from punches as well as kicks.

Well, and to kick with my shin instead of my instep, and to never try and turning back sidekick someone, and to eliminate crescent, hook, and wheel kicks from my arsenal... ok, I changed a whoile lot of stuff, but it still helped me more than if I had done nothing.

Regardless of any school or style out there, you do need basic fundamental kicks punches and blocks, it will help in the long run if you decide to change your style or study a second style. It might even clean a sloppy technic up.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder