• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ashihara Karate

MunkyBoy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ahhhh...Google is such a wonderful search engine! lol

I typed in "Ashihara Karate" (with the quotes) and got some 3,690 hits in 4/10th of a second with a 50.666bps dialup connection.

Here's the link to the first one, the rest you can do yourself.

http://users.iafrica.com/a/as/ashihara/

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I read up on it just a bit, and it seems like it has quite a bit in common with the style I practice, Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu

I didn't read much onb that page, but it looked like a "typical" Japanese system with low, very hard stances, high kicks, board breaking, etc.

Not the way I was taught Matsumura Seito..but then again, what two instructors do it exactly the same anyway? lol :P

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thanks smr...I'm busy trying to study for my Life/Health State Insurance Exam this coming Saturday so that I can start working for AFLAC next week. so, I was just looking at the pictures and not reading a whole lot! lol

Yes, sounds quite a bit like what we're doing. Personal;ly, I love the art! :karate:

Ashihara was founded by a known Kyokushinkai master Ashihara who decided to drop the old-fashioned kata, because he never got any bunkai information about them. Smart move, why keep stuff you can't use. Then he figured out his own kata, which are done with partners and resemble modern sparring and self-defence.

Grandmaster Ashihara said that he resigned from kyokushin

but according to kyokushin he was expel just like Grandmaster Tadashi Nakamura

(Nakamura is the founder and Chairman of the World Seido Karate Organisation)

Hideyuki Ashihara(1944 - 1995) was one of Oyama's top students.

most of oyama student left kyokushin and setup their own school

e.g. Shido-Kan, Sato-Juku, Seido-juku, seido-kaikan, Ashihara-Kaikan, Enshin-Kaikan, Daito-juku...etc

Qoo -_-

LemonKiss

• 4 weeks later...

Ashihara Karate can be described as moving in circles. The symbol illustrates the principles of the most efficient movements of the human body. The human body has a natural inclination to move in circles and in three dimensions, this transposes to the movement of a sphere. Circular movements mean that, rather than meeting an opponent head-on, you move around him, staying at his side or back, deflecting attacks and making yourself a difficult target.

l will be happy to provide more information if you would like, please note there are many websites claiming to be ashihara, but they are not, including the one at the top of this forum page. He is Ashihara Africa, and not affiliated with Japan, and is not the same style.

Chris Parsons. Chief instructor, Ashihara Australia.

Yeah, that concept of change-body or body-change was there before kyokushinkai. It is movement inherent in all real Okinawan karate. If one lesson can be learned from karate training it is that you should "get out the way"! Getting angles (or what my style calls the "rear corner") is the aim of any good MA. A "position of advantage" is so important for executing techniques. Of course that isn't the only principle gleaned from true training, but it is an important one.

Enshin, Shidokan, Ashihara, whatever you call it, is karate which never knew the original methods and intent and now is desperately searching for it. It's ahrd to make P.E. karate work, but with lots of forcing and "biting" from sport styles Kyokushinkai (and its offshoots) has accomplished it to some degree. Or so they think ;)! A shame that there aren't more real karate schools in the world. Reinventing the wheel, badly, is so rampant in the MAs!!!

Yes, there is a right and wrong way....

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!