• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finally saw it on DVD...

Fantastic movie!

John Woo? no.

I'm a little torn on the issue of Algren living. I expected him to die in the film, but after thinking about it, I think there are legitimate reasons for him not dying.

Yes, he was like the Samurai in that he was willing to die for what he believed in. But, it was clear that while he believed in the code of the Samurai, he didn't necessarily believe in the idea that shame must equal death.

Therefore, he was not actually a Samurai. Katsumoto seemed to recognize this, by telling Algren "You have regained your honor... now let me die with mine." (paraphrased from memory)

It was not his destiny to die in that battle, even though he was willing to. His destiny was to bring the message back to the Emporer, and find his own peace, which he did.

Remember when he asks Katsumoto what he wants from him, and Katsumoto replies "What do you want for yourself?" (paraphrased again). That seems to be a recurring theme... Algren may travel the Samurai path, but that does not mean he shares their destiny.

Hard for me to articulate, but hopefully that makes sense.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

y'know, i never took algren to be 'the last samurai'.

i was always under the impression that the title of the film refered to the samurai that he lived with and 'documents'.

to me the film is portraying the last moments where samurai could/did exist in japan.

at the end of the film, it is quite clear that while the emporer has 'seen the light', there is still no place for the samurai (although 'their' values might still be valid).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

The last real samurai was Takamori Seigo. There is a statue to honor him, called "The Last Samurai" located in Ueno Park, Tokyo.

Excerpts from this thread - http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=12356&highlight=samurai

It was a beautiful movie, but even moreso because it was loosely based on a real event in Japanese history, referred to as the Satsuma Rebellion, which was led by the real last samurai, Takamori Seigo. Cruise's character was utter fiction, but a nice touch for the occidental audience.

Ramy corrected me about Cruise's character here:

Tom Cruise's character existed, but was French. He was a captain, Jules Brunet, sent in Japan to instruct their soldiers in an "european" style. Alongside the samurais from the resistance he formed an independent republic on the Hokkaido isle. It lasted only 6 months. After the definitive victory over the samurais, in 1869, he returned to France where he got in front of the Court Martial, afterwards he regained his rank. He finished as a general.

Jules Brunet's participated in the Boshin War, which occurred 8 years earlier. Takamori Seigo was on the opposing side. In short, the movie condensed events that spanned a period of about 10 years and added twists to spice up an otherwise already spicy true set of events.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree completely. they should not have killed off tom..im so tired of this cliche main character always dying.. finally a movie like this was actually creative and the main characer didnt die..fancy that im glad this movie wasnt * and the main character die in a glorious batle and be all heroic. how ridiculous it is so played out it makes me sick and i for one am infinately glad that they did not kill him.

...but he was completely surrounded by a bunch of guys with guns.... and they just let him go...

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

it doesnt matter...it was a movie its all cinematics, its not supposed to be practical its supposed to be entertaining and killing him off wouldve been a big mistake, besides they were all honoring the samurai and in that scenario(whethter it would reallly happen or not) he would not have been killed..not if omurra was the only one who wanted him dead.

Or, you can rationalize that it would have been politically impractical to kill off the American weapons expert, sent over by an American General to show them (and not the samurais he was hangin' with) how to use western weapons. Would have probably been bad for future dealings to have had him killed off.

Besides, the battle was already over. If he weren't gaijin (barbarian), Tom Cruise's character would have committed seppeku. But, because he is gaijin, such is not expected. I.e., they have no honor, family, or tradition to uphold. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i guess. but always remember there's a boston corbett in every crowd. and he was made into a national hero... a weak one, but an honored one none the less. still, i see your point.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

WW is right it definately wasnt necessary that he be killed realistically speaking(i thought it was funny too how there was a field full of japanese people(just the samurai) and all of them were dead, except for the white man hahaha figures)but beyond even that i just think it wouldve been as good for the story line if algren died.

but....

he was the 'narrater'...

he was the one telling the story of the last of the samurai.

he can't die for that reason.

it would've ruined the story-telling mechanism.

(despite it being flawed in the first place...)

or am i being too pedantic here...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."