• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone else think this would have had more emotional meanig if Algren and his bushi pal had both died? I was hooked up until the point where Algren manages to be the only one not killed by the Gatling gun.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it would have had more impact if he had died. I think they built his character so well only not to have the consequence of dying for what he believed in. It definitely would have been more tragic and Japanese. They almost had a great film. Don't great me wrong I loved it. The ending was very Hollywood. A young Francis Ford Coppola would have done the story more justice. These directors aren't allowed to do what they really want anyway, so it's really not his fault. I just hope it wins something, we need more Samurai movies. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I see the movie twice and i have to say it's the BEST!!! movie i've ever seen. The acting was great, but I really liked Hiroyuki Sanada in this movie, he acted like a true fearsome samurai/warrior. but over all the best movie i've ever seen, i can't wait untill it gets released on dvd or vhs so i could buy it! Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe, and Hiroyuki Sanada just made the movie great!

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

I'm gonna see it tomoz one question is there any martial arts in it (other than sword arts) like Kung fu.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Kung Fu is Chinese. The Last Samurai takes place in early Meiji Japan. That is probably a good clue that there is no Kung Fu in the movie, eh?

There is some Jujutsu, as well as Kenjutsu, Naginata-jutsu, Yarijutsu, and a brief "ninja" scene.

Of real interest, there is Chado and Ikebana in the film as well.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

opened in leicester sq last night.

really screwed up my 'getting around town'...

normally i avoid the premiers like VD but i totally forgot that it was going on.

still, it was nice to see the cruiser do his looong walk again, even if he got in my way.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Fantastic movie,

This kind of film is what we need somthing that promotes the martial arts and traditions, maybe after people see it they will have a new respect for the samurai and martial arts in general. The samurai are an amazing people and its a real shame that they have died out, i mean in todays world theres no space for honor like there once was, its all about making money etc. pitty.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...