• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

co-ordination comes with practice and patience........so i recommend:

practice, practice, practice and with time it will come to you........... :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

I remember when i had coordination problems.. the solution for me was Concentrate in what i was doing.

Focus on the techniques and the sucesion and then perform.. do it slow first and then faster..

And Yes, Practice, practice , practice. :smile:

I agree - I dont think you are born with coordination, you learn it. I would say that everyones first kicks nearly made them fall over, and everyones first punches were delivered with all the grace of a drunk rhino. And Im late 20's (30) and started Muay Thai, and am the fittest and strongest Ive been in my life.

Yeah I know, it was a mis-spent youth.

But practice, and you'll get it.

Yes, the PRACTICE is a major part of everything, not just martial arts training.For example.

Before I started martial arts, I could barely do 1 pressup, now I can do around 20 at a time.Nothing spectacular I know,BUT in time I will develop myself to be able to do more, you cannot just go to bed one night and wake up the next morning 10 times as good as the night before.Things take time, No need rush things in martial arts.When I do combinations or techniques, I do them the fastest I can do them with the bast power and form I can, I can do them faster BUT they won't have nowhere near as much power or form as the last one.Thats where my theory is proven,

You can only do something as fast as your ability will let you strongly.

I would like to hear more on this subject from you!

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

The initial post starting this string of posts has stuck with me. If I am not mistaken when comparing matsubayashi shor-in ryu to shotokan it is the latter with the deeper stances. Seeming to require more physical strength faster. (I have trained in both styles by the way)

:uhoh:It also seems a bit odd to me that an instructor would be discouraging to a beginning student.

Having had such coordination deficits when I began training I spent a lot of extra time learning the basic moves and stances. It does not matter how quickly one learns or advances in rank what matters is the journey. What matters is the fact that you are trying.

Well, I have also tried shotokan before, but I am not exactly sure which one of the both styles requires more strength. Matsubayashi ryu uses a lot of nekwashi dachi, which poses problems to some people because it requires very strong legs.

The sensei probably didn't mean anything bad.

He was probably just trying to emphasize how important it was to practice constantly. Anyway, I usually come one hour before training in the dojo and actually do some basic movements exercises. I also try to do as many exercises as possible at home every day.

And yes, everybody here probably very is right saying: practice, practice, practice. :roll:

Keep low. Then the hips will get involved making it much easier. If you try to do any movment while you are high up, you become top heavy. Do it low, you stay balanced.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Cat stance, "oh yes". :bawling: My biggest problem when first starting cat stance was balance. Sometimes, when they knew that first turn in the kata in cat stance was, the people nearest me would make sure they were out of range in case I began flailing my arms to keep my balance. :bawling:

I began to do things in cat stance every time I walked down my hallway going to and from the bedroom. :evil: My cat hated it. :evil:

:bigwink:

Just keep with it. If you keep working you will perform better. (Hey, back then no one thought I would ever be a black belt. Wouldn't I like to feed it to some of them who got lost along the way.)

Karate is not a race. It is a live thing that grows within and without you. If it helps pick one thing at a time during class to work on, for the whole class. When you do that thing do your absolute best every time. At the end of class no matter how it looked to anyone else if you know you did your best feel good inside.

• 3 weeks later...