• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coordination and karate

Today, the sensei in our dojo told me that I lack some coordination when I do the kata but also other movements, for example.

Now, I know that starting to learn karate at 23 is relatively late, but many people say that it is almost never too late to start learning it. I must say that I truely like this art and would truely love to master it one day. But the fact that I lack coordination keeps me worried.

Does anybody of you have any advice that could help me? How can I improve my coordination?

Oh, and btw, I practice Mastubayashi-ryu style of karate-do.

Thanks!

Poseidon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

23? pah. You are in your prime years. It is rediculous to suggest your progress might be hampered by your age, if you have coordination problems I highly doubt it is that. Our sensei is utterly fantastic but he started Karate when he was like in his 30's so that is just bullshit.

Keep practicing your best and coordination should follow. if it doesn't you could practice your aiming and balance by just going at your makiwara or anything you like. Just keep going for it. bull>

:grin:

~The things you own - they end up owning you.

:wave:I was 37 when i started formal training. You are very definately not starting to late.

Very few :bawling:had the terrific lack of coordition I did when I first started. I used to knock my glasses off trying to headblock :blush:

Just keep at it. We don't all progress at the same speed. :up:

:spitlaugh:The biggest mistake you can make in your training would be to stop. :wave:

When I was a white belt I never even thought that one day I would be doing Rohai with the black belts but one day I did. :grin: :grin: :grin:

No one is hopeless.

just remember:

everybody's equal.... it's just that some people are more equal than others!!!!! :lol:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol:

"Sssshhhhhhhh.... i'm sleeping."

Stephen Winter,

7th Kyu, Shotokan Karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

Rambo2001...not very good advice...(this is coming from a Sensei)

You are never too old to start martial arts, as long as you are physically able to train. Of course, the older you get, the more difficult it will be to win in competition for instance, but karate is much broader than sparring. The most important aspect of a training is that you feel good about the training and that you make progress on both physical and mental level...and you will, it takes time & practice. Remember...as our SahBumNihm told us as students beginning "A black belt is a white belt that never quit"! :karate: