• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do Grading failers quit?

I don't think I would quit if I failed the grade I was testing for I would be more determined to get it next time I would train twice as hard and make sure I got it but maybe that's just me.

" You always get some motherf***er trying ice-skate uphill " Taken from Blade.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen people cry. But, they come back...usually

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

• 1 month later...

I think that it is up to the instructor to know if the individual is ready before they test them. I dont like these places where everyone testes every three/four months no matter what. So i think that is the first issue. Secound if someone is going to quit because of the color of their belt they probably wouldn't have stuck around long anyway.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

I think that it is up to the instructor to know if the individual is ready before they test them. I dont like these places where everyone testes every three/four months no matter what. So i think that is the first issue. Secound if someone is going to quit because of the color of their belt they probably wouldn't have stuck around long anyway.

I agree. One should not fail, esp lower rank testing if the instruvtor gave the test with logical understanding that the student is READY.

In other words, the instructor is failing a ill-prpared student testing?

That is a bad reflection on the instructor.

Testing every three or four months is a issue to satisfy the cusotmer?

Failing a student to "milk" more tuition?

The belt is the goal? (yes in a McDojo)

At our place we have a minimal training time before one can test for a higher belt. When this time elapses there are two options:

- if you're an adult you have to test. No excuses here.

If you fail, you have to test again next time (and so on...) The instructor explains why you failed, what are your flaws - so you can fix them until next time. It could be understood as a sort of an evaluation of your work over the last semester. It's also easier to take a look at someone's technique individually rather than during the training, when you have to deal with a group of people. And if you haven't reached the required level in the given ammount of time, well, it's nice to know if you're doing something wrong.

I guess the alternative would be to talk to your sensei after class, but as I said, he's not focusing only on you during the class.

- if you're a kid, the instructor tells you whether you're ready or not. He also explains to the parents, so that they understand if their kid isn't allowed to test.

Gradings are twice a year.

The system seems to be working. :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I have seen people fail and quit because the rank is the most important issue. Heck, that is why there are so many colors and variations. McDojos would form a Black Belt Club to maintain the motivation so a customer, er student, will not quit. Some fees are attached for a student to become a member. Thus, they will not want to fail a student.

But, to which, a student should be prpared to pass. If they do not, only reflects the instructor.

• 2 weeks later...

My instructor tells us that our test is more a test of himself and his instruction than a test on us. It gives him a chance to see where he failed in his instruction.

If you're a true MA, it's inside you... the color of your belt shouldn't define you. If it's really a part of you, it's impossible to quit. If you do quit it was never really a part of your life.

I could never quit... it's part of me and my life now.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

My instructor tells us that our test is more a test of himself and his instruction than a test on us. It gives him a chance to see where he failed in his instruction.

If you're a true MA, it's inside you... the color of your belt shouldn't define you. If it's really a part of you, it's impossible to quit. If you do quit it was never really a part of your life.

But in many McDojo schools they want it to define.

Why else would they state:

"This is a Black Belt School for Black Belt Excellence"

But in many McDojo schools they want it to define.

Why else would they state:

"This is a Black Belt School for Black Belt Excellence"

What's wrong with that? Surely there is nothing wrong in hoping that all your students have the spirit and will to keep fighting on all the way to black belt? Let's be completely realistic here, the majority of the people have the black belt as their goal when they first start their MA. Is there anything wrong with vision? As a 10th Kyu is it wrong to look forward to the day you get your shodan? I'd like to think that all my students are open minded enough that they realise the journey to black belt is more important to than the grading steps along the route. It is a great feeling when you grade as a kyu grade but you need to realise there is still so much to learn before you can really start your MA journey in earnest.

I'd like to think that everyone in my school strives for Black Belt excellence. It's better than thinking that some are there because their parents force them to be, or to fill in a bit of time, or because their boyfriend/girlfriend goes etc. I know that there are people there that go for those reasons and that only a small percentage will reach shodan but you have to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and train them all in that way!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum