• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do Grading failers quit?

i think if your sensei lets you test when you are not ready he is the one who is failing you and his role.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on what the circumstances surrounding the failing are. For example, in our Organization, if a student could have done better but overall was not bad, we give them a grade of Dan Bo. Kind of like A-. You can pass Dan Bo for 1st and 2nd dan, but not 3rd Dan. If a student did not do very well, but the judges think he/she has potential and will do better later as a Black belt, we will often pass them. If a student's technique is just really bad, to the point where they really need more time, and it wasn't just a bad test, then we will fail them and say "try again in 6 months". This is the Instructor's fault for recommending them in the first place. Also, I believe we have a rule that says any Instructor who has 3 students fail BB test loses their right to recommend students to test.

And yes, other judges have passed BB who I thought should not have passed. But if I'm outvoted my hands are tied.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

The rule that if an instructor has 3 students who fail BB lose their right to recommend students for testing is a good one if the instructor keeps recommending people for testing who aren't ready. If an instructor keeps trying to promote people who aren't ready for it then it devalues the grading system. Instructors should make sure that their students are ready to grade before allowing them to test.

MichiganTKD, if an instructor from your organisation loses the right to recommend students for testing, what happens to his/her students? How do they then get promoted to their next rank?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The offending Instructor crawls back on his hands and knees and begs to be allowed to recommend again :lol:

Seriously, I imagine (since I don't think we've had an Instructor lose their privileges) the Instructor would have to meet with our President and discuss recommending the students. Why make the students suffer for the sins of the Instructor?

However, if an Instructor quits the Organization or is cut, his students will never test in the Organization. He then has two choices: test the students himself, in which case their rank is not legitimate, or accept the fact that his students will never advance in rank.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

If I fail i would try a 100 times if I fail everytime i will kill myself.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 1 month later...

A failure must be taken as seriously as a success. It takes maturity and strong spirit to handle them both. Quitting ... it's a pitty to throw to the garbage can all the time you worked hard. It's always a second time and a failure motivates and even makes you stronger. As for the respect of the others ... you lose face only in front of those who are not smart enough to understand the implications. Those worth taking into consideration would always respect you for what you've done and for your strenght.

• 4 months later...

Alot of people on the forums say they will pass when their senseis think they are ready... Well guess what? Your sensei can definately be wrong, dont take his word for it. If it was up to my sensei, I would be a blue/brown belt, although im only a green at the moment, and he thinks I am totally ready to go to my next belt, but I dont think im ready, so guess what? Ill stay back. As for the failing belts, I can safely say many schools have started to let kids pass the belts grading easly, because if they really passed who deserved to pass now adays at some dojos, they would have no students at all... (my dojo is an example, yes, its an uber mcdojo)

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)