• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We hold grading sessions every three or four months, and most people are allowed to grade if they've been training at the dojo at least twice a week. That's for coloured belts though, mind you, it takes longer of course for brown and black belts. Everywhere's different though...why not ask your instructor?

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

• 2 weeks later...
I had the exact opposite problem with my first instructor. He wanted me to test for my Shodan so that I could open a dojo in another town for him. He was trying to get me to cram for my shodan test. I still hadn't been shown my entire kata for Shodan the week before the test. I voiced my concern to him that I wasn't ready. He told me that I would pass with no problem. I got the distinct impression that he meant no matter what. The last regular class before the test I refused the test in private before the class began. He then publicly humiliated me by telling me to leave his class. I threw my key to the dojo on the floor and left. My training, knowledge of proper technique and skill level are more important to me than ANY belt. I just thought I would share that story here.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I forgot to tell you that I've heard this from someone in my Dojang and they said If you fail then you would probably be a disgrace to the Dojang and I find it very odd that you will not bring shame to your Dojang. I think that was a stupid saying that he gave me.

Generally, my sensei won't allow anyone to test for their next belt until their ready, although I have seen him allow one boy (aged about 13/14) to test when he clearly wasn't ready. This was because the lad was very cocky and kept pestering to grade because he thought he was far superior to anyone else in the dojo. My sesei allowed him to take his next grade and fail as a 'wake-up' call. It worked...

In my association, everyone from the association tests together at regional gradings, rather than grading at your own dojo. My sensei won't let anyone grade who isn't ready (except for the lad I just mentioned) but some of the instructors send their students to grade, just because 3 months has elapsed since last grading and the student has asked to grade. At the last grading I went to, there was a boy there (aged about 11 or so) and he'd failed the test for his brown belt (3rd kyu) four times. IMO, it would have been much better for that kid's instructor to have not let him grade, rather than for the kid to keep failing. At least the kid shows persevereance, though! I think a lot of people would have quit after the 1st failure.

As an aside - do most people have a 'pass/temporary grade/ fail' type system for testing, or is it a straight 'pass or fail' with your association?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've failed a few tests. Did it bother me, sure. Did I become more proficient in the material the second time around, yes. More so than those who passed it the first time.

In testing for BB in KSW, you automatically fail your first test. It's a test within a test.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.