Do Grading failers quit?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm.... for an underbelt testing, i wouldnt really mind - but if it was my 1st Dan, i would be a lot more frustrated and disappointed in myself. I see 1st Dan as where you really start to train, and although i'm nowhere near that yet, i just seem to "know"

I wouldnt quit if i failed first Dan though.. i would probably not attend class for a few weeks, maybe a month or two. I'd lay it aside and just train on basics.

I can almost believe that 90% quit though... but maybe i'm misguided :D:D:D

that seems pretty high. I have failed(We call it a "No change" ) about 15 students over about a 6 year period, none of them quit beacause of that. Most of those were brain farts....I had seen them do the criteria over and over, but on test day.....well it happens.... Some did stop later in training, as many do. If I am doing my job, then the student is well prepared for the test......his failure in most cases, would be mine....as I am the one who prepared him and told him he should test :o

"The more we change, the more we stay the same"

• 2 weeks later...
It's the same with us, we don't get to grade until we've gone past the expectations for the next rank. As for me personally, I don't think I'd quit if I failed a grading, but I'd be pretty disheartened! I mean, I already train as hard as I can so if I ever failed it would make me think I was a complete no-hoper. Hope I never have to be in that situation though! :)

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Thats the same in my dojo. We don't get tested unless our sensei decides we definitely can pass. I haven't failed a test ever most likely because of this. But if I did ever fail I wouldn't quit, thats like going into college getting one F on a paper and deciding you have to drop out. I don't like giving up that easily.