How to Become A Good Fighter

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil.

Yes sir. (respectful bow)

:lol:

You told me you could never be good if you just used bodyweight, because the progression stops somewhere.

So do us all a favor and stop contridicting yourself like some kind of kid who thinks he's #1

No, you read the thread wrong somewhere down the line... again.

All I've ever espoused is that there is nothing wrong with weight training for strength as a counter your position that weight training is only useful for body builders.

Heck, for as long as I've trained with weights, I wish I looked like a body builder!! :lol:

I don't care if I'm lifting sandbags, or metal weights, or dead bodies, it takes a certain amount of strength to lift a certain amount of weight. That's a simple fact. If I can squat 400 lbs., I should have no problem throwing a damsel in distress, or a (huge) sack of potatos over my shoulder and carrying them.

Strength is good. It's not the most important thing, but it is one of them.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I never said weight training was for bodybuilding.

If you look back I've only stated over and over, that isolation is for bodybuilding.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

But, one place or another, you said bench press was an isolation exercise. If that's an isolation exercise, then just about every other common technique in weight lifting is as well.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Here is where I got my information from on the bench press http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler29.htm

The clip here is from Stephen Maxwell and Mike Mahler interview, Stephen is a grappling champion.

MM: What exercises would you recommend to increase muscular endurance?

SM: Just about any exercise that involves whole body movements is useful.

MM: Can you give me some examples?

SM:: A pushup is a whole body exercise and a bench press is an isolation exercise. A chinup is a whole body exercise compared to a lat pulldown. Thus, I prefer using exercises that involve your bodyweight due to all of the stabilizing muscles that are involved. Moreover, you have to use all of your core muscles to stabilize your trunk and that is critical for grapplers.

MM: You don't think that exercises such as hammer strength machines and

bicep curls are useful?

SM: Well as Pavel Tsatsouline once said, "One of the worst things that ever happened to athletic training and strength training is bodybuilding." Weight machines have a place in a bodybuilding routine or for anyone that wants to put on some size and does not really care about functional strength. Plenty of bodybuilders have had success with machines. However, it is not a good way to go for combat athletes. A combat athlete has to determine what energy systems to use. What are the muscular moves that are used in the sport, and how to supplement grappling to enhance your abilities. In grappling, you use so many different kinds of strength such as static strength, power speed, strength endurance all at the same time. I have put together routines that address all of these important forms of strength and conditioning.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

Neither you or this Mahler guy has explained how weight training, using isolation excercises, has helped professional athletes gain strength, while retaining endurance and agility.

On the one hand, the Mahler guy is saying isolation exercises are only useful for bodybuilders, but on the other hand, all these profesional athletes, whose livelihoods depends on the results from their weight training, prove otherwise.

The proof is in the pudding.

Just goes to show what I've been saying all along. This is just another way to train that happens to yield good results for this guy. Does that mean it's the only way to train? Of course not. There's too much proof showing it isn't.

I like chocolate pudding myself. :)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I've never stated that isolation exercises are useful, but studies show that it can be harmful because it causes muscles to become stronger than ones around it.

Life doesn't call for isolation, you need all of your muscles, and I cannot think of one time (outside the weight room) that you do isolated movements.

I'll read the interview - he may use a funny definition of isolation - an isolation exercise is one that only invloves one muscle group. The bench press works more than one, and is therefore a COMPOUND exercise.

I've never stated that isolation exercises are useful, but studies show that it can be harmful because it causes muscles to become stronger than ones around it.

I know people that have thrown their back out doing cleans... ANY exercise not done properly can be harmful. next point...