• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to Become A Good Fighter

nah, it's not - it's him trying to prove an unprovable point.

dude....I don't care what type of belts you strap onto yourself - progression stops. they don't make gear with enough weight to allow it. I would love to see someone doing a pushup with 300 pounds strapped to their back, lol!!! Even if someone did, it's too inconvenient and likely to expensive to do - you wouldn't see anyone doing it.

Bottom line - if you want to prove that you will get stronger via bodyweight exercises than by lifting weights, show me some proof and post it here. You won't, because you can't.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golly! It sounds like there's a notion floating around that if you train like Bruce Lee, or whoever else didn't train with weights, you'll become Bruce Lee. :lol:

I prefer to use training techniques applied by the vast majority of professional athletes around the world, rather than the handful or two exceptions, but that's just me and it works for me.

However, can someone please explain to me how no other exercise can train the 'other' muscles besides your triceps and pecs, that pushups do? It's silly to think there aren't any! You don't have to train all your muscles at the same time to make each of them stronger.

All this talk about wearing a weight vest is kinda funny. No doubt it works, but why go through the hassle when there are other simpler but equally effective ways? And like Sevenstar said, who's going to wear a 300 pound vest? Just because someone can bench (or pushup) 300 lbs. doesn't mean they don't have explosive power or agility.

Edited by DLopez

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

um, i always thought that bruce lee did use weights...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

He did....

Dlopez, you stated you can train all your muscles seperate with weights so whats the difference?

In fighting when do you use one muscle but not another? Nothing is done in isolation. The only weight training I use is sand bags, and that can go as high as you want it to. Isolation is for the bodybuilders.

Sand bags I believe are the best weights to use, they simulate a real human better. They are not always proportionate and it's harder to lift.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

This is an extract from the website https://www.selfdefense.org and is a list of attributes that good fighters often exhibit, so basically what u'll find naturally in top fighters around the world:

Ferocity and extreme aggression

Explosive mobility and balance

Sensitivity to your opponent's energies

Focused, analytical thinking

Management of fear and stress

A good sense of timing and rhythm

The ability to relax in spite of fear and stress

Excellent creative visualization skills

Confidence and determination

Power generation skills

Strength

Flexibility

Reaction speed

Movement speed

Muscular endurance

Aerobic conditioning

The ability to take bodily damage and keep going

Situational awareness

The ability to make quick, intuitive decisions

An expectation that Murphy's Law will come into play sooner or later

An intuitive comprehension of the ranges of combat, and angles of attack, and center-line theory

Initiative and willingness to take proactive action

Killer instinct and an "I'll do whatever it takes!" attitude

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I think the point about "Initiative and willingness to take proactive action" is an important one, it basically means if u someones arguing or inticing you and you think that they are going to hit you, then you should attack them first and get the first and ultimatley crucial hit in.

Which attributes do you think you have, maybe all of them?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

In fighting when do you use one muscle but not another? Nothing is done in isolation. The only weight training I use is sand bags, and that can go as high as you want it to. Isolation is for the bodybuilders.

In fighting you use all your muscles, yes. But I said to strengthen them, you don't need to exercise them all at once. I hope I don't have to correct your reading comprehension all the time, as that can become pretty annoying.

BTW - What's the difference between sandbags and metal weights? :-?

Hehe! Silly you! You've been weight training and didn't even realize it.

You must be a body builder. :P

Dean

Kuk Sool Won

Did you read what I wrote?

"they simulate a real human better. They are not always proportionate and it's harder to lift."

Hmmm, tell me is a metal weight that stays the same shape on the same bar the same as an unproportional bag of sand? See how much you can military press, then find a sand bag that weight and try it...

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

There you go again, confusing two different issues - now you're confusing strength with balance, and implying that one cannot separately train for balance either.

Can't you see that you're simply talking about just another way to train? Which is fine by itself. Most of us here realize that's all it is - just another way to train - except for you.

You keep insisting that it's the only way to train to get results, while ignoring all the evidence that shows otherwise.

Do you just need to feel like yours is 'the best' or something?

Dean

Kuk Sool Won

:lol:

You told me you could never be good if you just used bodyweight, because the progression stops somewhere.

So do us all a favor and stop contridicting yourself like some kind of kid who thinks he's #1