How to Become A Good Fighter

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pefer bungie type cord training. Works the tendons a bit more as well as the muscle. Tendon strengh gets you a bit more stronger in holding postioins and such I think.

I have a video of Rickson doing that type of training in his garage. What is really cool is seeing his son Rockson and Helio Gracie rolling around. I believe Rockson was 12 or 13 around there and Helio early 80's. That old man can MOVE!

Also plyometric drills work very well also.

-Jeff

why whats teh diffrence. I felt just as strong with stetch cord training as I did with weights if not more so. Do that the cords work the tendons more gets you that holding strength and works really well. Also plyometrics and calistincs.

-Jeff

• 4 months later...

It would have been a bit better saying "strength training" instead of "lift weights".

I personally do lots of different crunches and pushups, pullups, freehand squats etc, combined with Charles Atlas style dynamic tension/isometrics.

the difference is what you're doing to your body... cords and plyometrics don't offer progressive resistance. eventually they become endurance exercises, and are no longer categorized as strength builders.

you can't get as strong doing those types of exercises as you can by weight training. Like I said, it all has it's place.

i know of a capoeria fighter to and he has got a very muscular body. but he does not lift weights, he just got it through his training & sit ups.

Be everything. Be nothing.

i know of a capoeria fighter to and he has got a very muscular body. but he does not lift weights, he just got it through his training & sit ups.

yeah, definitely. being ripped isn't an indicator of strength. Try this test... I can bench press 285. get him to do it. I bet he can't. I squat over 400 lbs. Once again, I bet he can't. because his muscles are trained for endurance. That's not a bad thing - like I said, do both.

I think we all missed something here and thats to have goals. Both short term and long term. The running example was good, trying to shave your time etc. A good short term objective. Then u have the big grandiose goals like WORLD CHAMPION which are also good. My problem is that if I don't have a goal then I tend to get bored and slack off. Whereas if I have even the slightest oppurtunity for a fight then I'm traing 4 to 6 hours a day 6 days a week. It is the motivation/spirit which drives the body no matter how u train and ultimately the most important factor. More so than whether u win or lose. :-?

Donkey