• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to Become A Good Fighter

well, it might be worth mentioning that sitting on your * all day eating junk,watching tv before going to your ONE 2 hour martial arts class every week will not a good fighter make...

secrets are things not told to people.

think about what you don't talk about when you talk about training.

a lot of the kids i speak with tend to only talk about moves/forms/techniques and seem to have little regard to the other aspects of training.

sometimes i think the true secret to being good is in the NON martial art training.

how often do you hear people talk about their latest running session where they managed to shave off another few seconds on their best times?

how often do you hear people talk about jogging for an extra half hour?

how often do you hear people talk about the many sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, thrusts, skipping etc etc...?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

secrets are things not told to people.

This post is not about 'secrets' if it was i would have called it "SECRETS of becoming a good fighter"

how often do you hear people talk about jogging for an extra half hour?

how often do you hear people talk about the many sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, thrusts, skipping etc etc...?

Once again, this post is about how to become a good fighter. Even if you can do 1000 pushups it doesnt mean your a good fighter. Olympic weight lifters can lift more than double what an average person can. Does that make them a good fighter?

I guess now we all know why you are called drunken monkey :lol:

that's called taking it out of context.

read that first line of my post again.

you asked how to be a better fighter.

i gave an example of something not regularly mentioned in a martial art class.

if you actually read the post you would've spotted that.

ozaru used the term secrets so i used his term to cover these things not often talked about.

like i say.

what do you think is going to make a better fighter;

the guy in your class that runs 20 miles a week,

does a two hour ciruit training session every other day,

as well as practising forms and techniques every afternoon?

or the guy who turns up to one class a week,

no outside training,

no regular exercise?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 1 month later...

Drunken monkey makes very good points. How often do you think about martial arts in your every day life. Or as he was saying running and doing these extra excercises. You modifiy your work out routines based on martial art moves you actually do become a better fighter. Also working out the muscles getting the feel of them and getting them more cordinated does make you a better fighter.

-Jeff

Actually me and a couple of guys do that all the time... we always try to break eachothers records in things like the benchpress (which I hold the record in btw) or arm wrestle (And I win in that also :) ) and I always go on about boxing and even when i'm brushing my teeth I pretend to avoid punches as fast as I can :D .

I actually dont know anyone who wants to become a good fighter that does a few exersises a week and nothing beyond that... either they do it fullheartedly or they dont do it at all.

And I hate people that come up to me and says "hey, I've seen boxers fight, and they are no match on the street!" Ofcourse there are boxers that cant fight, they are the ones that dont go for it all the way.

I'm just lucky I dont know guys like that! Or maybe they're lucky

Those are some pretty solid rules.

if you want something the elaborates on them a little more pick up "The Fighter's Fact Book" by Loren W. Christensen

It's full of training methods, tactics and many writes and wrongs of training.

it's also got a section on improving your kata and fightig in tournaments, but i imagine thats not really of any interest to the people in the Combative forum.

I'd really agree.

Somone love one

Somone love two

I love one

That one is myself just have been turn down....

Funny thing is what is secret to one is just common since or or not really secret but basic practice for another that they have been practing every day and are good at they then have gain more knowlege that is over the head of the other. Is it secret not really its how the human body works but so many people confine themselves with certain limits. -Jeff

Want to become a great, efficient fighter? Here is how you do it:

- learn an effective martial art (ie. JKD, Boxing, Wrestling etc)

- Spar as much as possible with as many different people as possible

- Lift weights

- Buy a heavybag and work on it

- stretch for flexibility

- do running and other stamina exercises

It's as simple as that. There are no "secrets" just TRAINING. Want to practice your punch? Then PUNCH! Want to train your kick? Then KICK!

*Cough* *Click* *Cough*

Those are great tips but, you should have given credit to Naz. It is clear you simply copied and pasted it here. Not cool IMO unless you got permission to post without giving him credit. (Making it look like they're your tips.)

he said he read it off of nazforums so he did not take credit. but i agree with everything except litf weights. i know a caperioa instructer that does nothing but push ups and his arm are very tone.

falcon kick!!!