• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

full contact fighting

my aim in the martial arts is to become a descent fighter so i dont get my butt kicked by people looking for trouble or in case i get threatened in whatever way.....

i guess the only way to become a good fighter is practicing full contact. (if i am wrong about this or you got other ideas... pls post'em)

thing is, though it sounds very stupid i suppose, i am afraid of getting kicks, punches, elbows etc thrown at me without protective gear. although i want to learn how to fight, i dont want to take more or less serious injuries each time i go to class.

what can i do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you train control you will also know how to fight full contact. But one that only practises full contact will not be able to fight with control. So I guess better to practise control. Plus, all the full contact sparring gears cost a lot.
Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)

Just because you practice full contact doesn't mean that you won't wear any protective gear.

Ditto.

In a real fight, you're [most likely unless your opponent sucks] going to take a hit. Full contact IMO, is the best way to prepare for this. I don't remember who had this quote in their sig but it's a good one; "Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield." Something like that anyway.

You're not going to get seriously injured unless your sparring partner is "out for blood." Which, he shouldn't be. You're not going to be thrown in a death match, relax. Just let your partner know you're new to full contact sparring and you should be fine.

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

i guess the only way to become a good fighter is practicing full contact. (if i am wrong about this or you got other ideas... pls post'em)

There are a lot of types of sparing, and all are bennificial in developing fighting skills. Sparing with hard contact is crucial to developing fighting skills, but every session doesn't have to be that way. And fighting full contact, without protection or some rules for safety, is not a good idea. The only way to learn to fight is to occasionally fight, but no one needs to learn how to get injured!

Freedom isn't free!

If you train control you will also know how to fight full contact. But one that only practises full contact will not be able to fight with control. So I guess better to practise control. Plus, all the full contact sparring gears cost a lot.

I disagree. As a thaiboxer, I know better. I've seen too many guys who train point sparring all the time get mollywocked in the ring because they aren't used to the contact level. I've seen it happen on the street also. many clubs will provide you with gear, and in the fights I've been in, it's been provided also.

Now, while you do want to spar full contact, you do't wanna do it all the time - that's just asking for injury, and if you're injured, you can't fight. you only really need to go full contact 3 -4 times a month or so. Vary the other sessions between light and medium contact.

Since it's a text-book question, I'll cut-n-paste my text-book answer...

Light Contact:

Light contact sparring is where one spars at full speed but "pulls the punch", that is to say that control is exercised to avoid putting force into the target. This is pretty common in Japanese arts.

Advantages include:

The ability to use a wide array of techniques in practice without injuring your partner.

The ability to move at speed and react to someone moving at speed.

Disadvantages include:

The limiting of many techniques which cannot, by nature, be pulled.

A limit on what and how much resistance an opponent can offer.

The lack of an understanding of hitting and being hit.

The training of the bad habit "pull the punch" (commiting the wrong actions to muscle memory"

Limited Rules

Common in the grapplig arts, this strategy allows opponents to go at near-full speed and with power by severely limiting dangerous techniques and relying on a level of control to "stop" when injury is about to occur.

Advantages include:

The ability to work at near combat levels with resisting opponents.

A gravity dynamic (IE how hard it is to stay up or escape) very true-to life.

A realistic sense of trying to apply something to someone who doesn't want it applied.

The ability to fight in realistic attire.

Disadvantages include:

The restriction of certain techniques (anything from fish-hooks to knee kicks).

The neccessairy de-emphasis of other common techniques (striking).

The likely reliance on some level of padding (I've yet to see this done on standard hardwood or concrete floors)

Pad up and go

In this strategy, the combatitants attempt to armor their more vunerable areas to allow a higher level of striking. Otherwise, it's very similar to Light contact

Advantages Include:

Ability to work at speed and reasonably power against resisting opponent.

Less bad habit of pulling than light contact.

Disadvantages include:

Unrealistic abilities and inabilities cause by padding.

Unrealistic understandings of damage inflicted and recieved due to padding.

A limitation of availiable techniques similar to Light Contact[/b] due to teh limitations of padding.

Slow motion sparring

Slow motion sparring, done most often in Chinese arts, relies on a control of speed. Combatatiants fight, but at a snails pace.

Advantages include:

An almost unlimited availability of techniques.

The ability to work against a resisting opponent.

The ability to "think while fighting" to improve on mistakes.

The ability to perform a technique as you would in a fight.

Disadvantages include:

A lack of exposure to the timing and effect of speed.

A lower "fear coctail" level than other sparring methods.

An unrealistic understanding of one's ability to respond to sudden changes.

I think it's a balance of light contact, full contact, and drills.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Hmm, I do Use light contact. And my style is officaly light/non contact. But most times, i see it go full contact. But i agree with treebrance.

PEACE AND LOVE.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

• 4 weeks later...
Just because you practice full contact doesn't mean that you won't wear any protective gear.

:lol: :lol: you have not seen the u.s. shidokan, the challenge in denver and the tournaments in japan my friend

falcon kick!!!