• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Vs Streetfighting

Kickchop19

I'm a yellow belt in karate, and already i'm able to use my blocks in a real fight effectively. and w/o hurting my forearm. and low blocks are effective, as they are not only used for kicks, they are also used for low punches, and the beauty of a low block is if done correctly to block a middle/low punch if you continue twisting your forearm you can get them into a joint lock at the elbow or shoulder and take them down to the ground with your leg.

Know what happens if you fight a kickboxer? He's going to throw roundhouse kicks at your thy. When he sees that you reach down to grab them instead of lifting your knee and blocking with the shin, he's going to either

1) kick you in the head when you expect the leg kick and drop your hands

2) fake the low kick and jack you in the face

so no, the low block IS terrible against people who know what they're doing.

don't you dare call me biased, i'm a brownbelt in karate who's seen the light (in the form of muay thai and brazilian ju jitsu)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the arm block to round kick is terrible. I dont think its even an argument. It can be hard enough to tell the diff between a mid and high round kick but to block like that is agift to any kickboxer. Why give them targets?

Seize the day!

good point mart

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

:D Yeah as Mart said, in MT we deliberately aim for the forearm. Try blocking shin kicks and youll get a broken arm. But back to the topic, yes, karate if effective if u have a good sensei. However it takes alot longer to become effective in Karate than it does in styles like MT or BJJ. It takes years to become a good karate fighter whilst u can learn effective techniques quickly in MT or BJJ because they are simple and u spar alot.

Donkey

The low block's application is not a block, it's a groin strike or part of a grappling technique depending on what part of what kata you are looking at. It is stupid to do a low block to a round kick. I am a 1'st kyu in Shorin ryu, bye the way.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

:D Yeah as Mart said, in MT we deliberately aim for the forearm. Try blocking shin kicks and youll get a broken arm. But back to the topic, yes, karate if effective if u have a good sensei. However it takes alot longer to become effective in Karate than it does in styles like MT or BJJ. It takes years to become a good karate fighter whilst u can learn effective techniques quickly in MT or BJJ because they are simple and u spar alot.

What about Kyokushin? It's a style of karate, with fairly simple techniques, and we spare hard and a lot.

So there is no block then for round kicks?

Of course there are. But, you'd better move away first, and think of them as recieving instead of blocking. The point here is if you stand there and go force on force, your arm vs. his leg, your arm looses. And while you are getting your arm broken, you leave other targets open.

Freedom isn't free!

I haven't read this whole topic only the last page.

I cannot believe you are discussing defending a roundhouse kick on the street!!! Perhaps you MIGHT receive one but it is quite unlikely. If the street fighter is confident enough to expose himself to the vunerability of performing a kick you are probably in very big trouble or you are fighting a novice street fighter.

Use a low block to defend a stomach punch?! You have been doing too much pre arranged fighting my friend! Whilst you're attempting to block, you would probably have been hit by now anyway, your opponent would have hit you in the face with his other hand.

Most street fighters go straight for a knockout punch combination. The fight will start with verbal confrontation, lead onto physical testing intimidation and finally physical action. If you do not control the fight then it will start from within 18", if you control it you will get your arms length.

Karate is flawed in many ways in regard to fighting on the street, the biggest flaw that I come across is in the attitude of it's exponents in regard to the effectiveness of what their learning.

Thing is karate teaches you alot and despite common belief it does not take years of practice to hit hard and fight reasonably well. Like other arts this can be achieved in a relatively short time period. The trick to karate is finding an instructor with a realistic approach to their art. The trick to street fighting is understanding the streetfighter....

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

:P Ok Djita and Telsun I agree with both of u. I've only taken Shotokan and fought Shito Ryu, Gojo Ryu and Wushu Ryu fighters. The teacher is who makes the difference in how effective a fighter a student is. All I'm saying is that MT is extremely basic when u start and teaches good footwork, guard, punches and low kicks. All extremely effective in real fights. No katas, no horse stance. And no offence Djita but the fact that u guys dont allow head shots sucks. It develops bad habits, especially since most goons on the street aim straight for your face. :wink:

Donkey