• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Vs Streetfighting

Kickchop19

7 * is right on. Don't be fooled by movements in kata or common explanations for blocks and strikes seen in a lot of karate. There are definitely hard blocks appropriate for their situation, but more common, is angular/lateral movement, parrying, stepping into an attack and unbalancing, etc.. Anyhoo, how many years of good karate training do you have? I can tell you that the Gracie SD applications mirror so many other asian arts. You know Gracie SD right? Or are you just doing the sport stuff?

Anyway, good looking out 7:)!

And, yes, good karate can protect from the uninitiated, unorganized fighter if you are aware and such.

Yes, there is a right and wrong way....

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a yellow belt in karate, and already i'm able to use my blocks in a real fight effectively. and w/o hurting my forearm. and low blocks are effective, as they are not only used for kicks, they are also used for low punches, and the beauty of a low block is if done correctly to block a middle/low punch if you continue twisting your forearm you can get them into a joint lock at the elbow or shoulder and take them down to the ground with your leg.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I want to learn karate, would i be able to defend myself against a street fighter?

As others have said already, a lot depends on what system you chose to study, and what that particular dojo emphasises and teaches in class. There are many schools and systems out there that I personally feel are next to worthless for street self-defense unless their opponent stands like a post rooted into the ground, closes his eyes and says "Go ahead...HIT ME!" :roll: Then yes, they would work fine for self-defense purposes.

Basically, any martial arts system is SUPPOSED to be designed to protect yourself from the average person on the street in a confrontation, but many arts have switched their emphasis to sport/tournament type techniques, which aren't very applicable in a street confrontation, so beware of those and look at a system with a critical eye. I wouldn't recommend listening to the instructors opinion when you first go in to watch a class, as most will tell you their system is perfect for street applications, as I've seen many times before...and most just aren't now days.

As for low blocks not being able to defend agaisnt kicks...hogwash! We spar full contact using Okinawan boju gear, and I routinely block full force kicks with my arms. Low kicks are blocked with my legs/shins (yeah, it hurts until you get used to it), not by bending over and blocking with my arms. You should NEVER bend over to reach to block a kick...it exposes your head nicely for a punch, but I see people do it all the time.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'm a yellow belt in karate, and already i'm able to use my blocks in a real fight effectively. and w/o hurting my forearm. and low blocks are effective, as they are not only used for kicks, they are also used for low punches, and the beauty of a low block is if done correctly to block a middle/low punch if you continue twisting your forearm you can get them into a joint lock at the elbow or shoulder and take them down to the ground with your leg.

I love people who use low blocks in sparring. Makes it twice as easy to punch them in the head. You should block low punches with your elbows or forears so you dont have to drop your gaurd.

I take karate and I think its great. My friends and i sometimes fake fight. Most of them are big and like to grapple so i'll throw a quick backfist or snapkick and back off...the longer you take the art, the better you will be able to distinguish which attacks to use on certain people....its all in the mind. I say give it a try.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Karate blocks are very effective if applied correctly when sparring/freefighting and not just used as they are done during kihon drills. Also, it's incorrect to say that karate blocks are just done with the hands - you can block with your elbows, feet or even knees if you know what you're doing.

As for karate vs streetfighter - well, it really depends on the fighters. It's like the old "Karate vs Kung Fu" argument or "TKD vs Muay Thai" or "whatever vs whatever". Each style has its own good points and not so good aspects. Plus, it really depends on the fighters. My style could be the greatest in the world, but it won't help me one little bit if I suck at sparring or (more importantly) I've had a bad teacher.

Whichever style you want to learn it's important to find a great instructor.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I love people who use low blocks in sparring. Makes it twice as easy to punch them in the head. You should block low punches with your elbows or forears so you dont have to drop your gaurd.

I use them when the kick is at upper thigh hight or just below tyvm, plus i'd like to see someone throw a roundhouse at my side and at the same time throw a punch that will do damage, even if aimed at my face

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Block a round kick with your arm????????

Are you serious?

Wont it get broken or at least injured, how do you do it i dont get it?

most thai boxers can kick easily hard enough to seriously damage an arm that gets in the way.

I dont understand how the arm can be solid enough against a much heavier limb coming at it.

Please explain, i dont get it?

Seize the day!

The trick is not to use brute force with your forearm. Against arm-breaking techs such as the round-kick I've been successful using the palms of my hands or the vicinity around my elbow, etc. Shin blocks can also prove very use-ful for the flexible, and quick-footed :brow: .

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."