• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 5 Combative Arts

What great is I can look at BJJ techniques and figure out what's really happening with the technique, because of what I'm studying. BJJ is great at using leverage and natural body weight for certain techniques. Although there are many where strength is essential, but I guess that goes for almost any MA.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's true.

if a kung fu guy tells you he doesn't do any weight/resistence training, he is lying.

a lot of them will try to sell you the idea that you can win with position/technique alone but even a fool should figure out that good position/technique AND good strength is even better.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

What great is I can look at BJJ techniques and figure out what's really happening with the technique, because of what I'm studying. BJJ is great at using leverage and natural body weight for certain techniques. Although there are many where strength is essential, but I guess that goes for almost any MA.

yeah, but that doesn't translate to actually being able to do it. Before I started judo, I was able to figure out how to do the throws - That wasn't really a problem. Once I started, I checked out throws online, so I knew more than I had actually been shown in class. DOING them in randori / shiai however....different story

that's true.

if a kung fu guy tells you he doesn't do any weight/resistence training, he is lying.

a lot of them will try to sell you the idea that you can win with position/technique alone but even a fool should figure out that good position/technique AND good strength is even better.

that's not what we mean by resistance. We're speaking in the sense of working your techniques against a resisting partner.

however, alot of MA don't do resistance training, in the sense that you are talking about. Stance training doesn't technically count as strength building as the strength gain there will stagnate and stop. Same with pushups and other exercises. Nonetheless, they are still great exercises though.

SevenStar I never said that I've done them, but I sure have a better understanding of what happening then the average Joe. I don't have anything against BJJ I just don't like the practitioners who bash everything that's not BJJ. When I get around to it I'll start studying it. I think if you are unlucky enough to be taken down you should know what to do. I've had groundfighting taught to me, but I'm no expert. I really think I could learn it faster then most people because of my experience, but I can't say the same for people trying to learn Budo Taijutsu.

i was refereing to the neccessity for strength in techniques; hence weight/resistance training.

more specifically i was refering to the chinese styles because they hardly ever mention any of the heavy duty body strengthening/conditioning training in a 'modern' class.

but yeah i know what you mean by resisting partner.

i think most people here know how i feel about 'going through the motions'...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

SevenStar I never said that I've done them, but I sure have a better understanding of what happening then the average Joe.

I'm sure you could. Understanding and application are two different things though.

Sure that go for everything, but I don't think the concepts are beyond me that's all. I'll get around to BJJ when the prices come down.

No if that's what I meant I would have just came out and said so. What I meant is that it is a MA that takes time for certain things to make sense, and once you understand that you can pretty much look at any MA and figure them out. An other thing, if I was the only able to learn this stuff I would be the only one studying it. Sorry if it came out the wrong way. :)