• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 5 Combative Arts

I think it's safe to say it's the best groundfighting art.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen! And for most - gravity is itself too great a force to stand up to (pun maybe). That's why it deserves out respect.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I still think you need another art to round it out. A good striking art and more stand up grappling would be good as well.

that will go for anything. no one style empasizes all things equally. Take Matt's comment, for example. Judo doesn't need to improve it's ground game. It's got the same techniques. The issue is focus. Judo focuses on standup, at most clubs. There are clubs that focus on ground work, and also the kosen judo guys that are famous for groundwork.

jjj - alot of standup, some ground. I would bet money a bjj guy would school any of them on the ground, unless they are at a school that empasizes groundwork.

mt - awesome stand up, needs grappling.

karate - needs groundwork.

some things need more than others, but all need SOMETHING.

I think it's safe to say it's the best groundfighting art.

possibly...Catch is excellent. a wrestler's aggressiveness is unparallelled...

catch, greco, sambo...plenty of awesome ground styles. Don't worry about which is best - pick an approach that fits your personal style and train it constantly.

I still think you need another art to round it out. A good striking art and more stand up grappling would be good as well.

In addition to what I said above, keep in mind that bjj is a grappling art. one that has been used for self defense, which was taken into consideration. A grappler's philosophy is to take your space. If I control your space, you don't have the room to strike me. Against pure strikers, it works beautifully, as we saw in the first UFCs. When we do self defense drills in my bjj class, that's what we work - slipping punches, getting inside, putting them on the ground via either a throw or a takedown. It was desiged not needing striking - it's effective without it. The major problem arises when someone knows both striking and grappling. Then the grappler can be in trouble as the striker is familiar with his tactics. Grapplers who strike are on an even playing field. pure strikers (and strikers like jjj guys that grapple but don't focus extensively on it) and pure grapplers are at a disadvantage agaisnt hybrid fighters.

pure strikers (and strikers like jjj guys that grapple but don't focus extensively on it) and pure grapplers are at a disadvantage agaisnt hybrid fighters.

that somehow sounds to me like what treebranch said... you need another art to round it. or shall i say, to be a hybrid fighter?

• 2 weeks later...

so, just wondering, if i wanted to take, say, 3(?) different styles to learn kicking/punching, grappling, and groundwork. which three would you all reccomend?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• 2 weeks later...

actually this thread was meant to figure out which single art covers all of these best. sadly there is not "best of all arts in one"-jitsu or something :) many arts started in order to achieve the perfect art (so did tkd and look what it became :( ), but i have my doubts that they r as good as they r said to be.

this certain art needs to cover all fighting ranges (IMO there r more than 3, btw) like Krav Maga or Kung Fu San Soo, a good teaching method with bagwork, sparring and drills that condition the body, like Muay Thai e.g. and there must be no crap carried along, like learning a foreign language or such. the time you spend bowing could better be spent practicing.

i have nothing against traditional arts or meditation or bowing and such, but spending too much time on it aint right imo. i respect my instructors very much and all the people (instructors so to speak) spending time, helping strangers they never met before learing such a wonderful thing as a martial art, but there are different ways to show this.

there have been threads on a similar topic i think @C.-Karate ! revive one of them or start a new one - its a good topic to discuss on :)

If you look at Budo Taijutsu closely, it does cover all aspects of fighting. It has stand-up striking, stand-up grappling, throws and takedowns, groundfighting. Now I do admit most Budo Taijutsu schools concentrate mostly on stand-up grappling and throws with striking. If you were to go to a Budo Taijutsu school and ask them to train you for competition some teachers would love to. Yes, there is no art that trains grappling, striking, groundfighting equally that I've seen, but certain MA's have those ranges of fighting in them and some simply do not. So with the proper training methods there are certainly MA's that are well rounded enough to cover all aspects of fighting, it's just no one is doing it.

There may be reasons why no one is doing it. Like some of these arts take too much time to learn. You would have had to been studying it ever since you were 8 or something. But I believe it could be modified for sport very easily and stand up to a great deal of the competitive MA's out there. It simply has not been attempted large scale.