• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Karate Weapon?

Rich_2k3

Whats your favorite Karate weapon?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favorite Karate weapon?

• Nunchaku
    • Yawara Sticks
    • Sai
    • Fighting Knife
    • Tonfa
    • Staff
    • Bo

You missed out nunchkau which were used 4 beating rice. There is a book called 'Complete book of Karate weapons' by 'Theodore Gambordella' former US Karate champion and Weapons Champion and its states that the main okinwana weapons were those I listed. However the other weapons that people have mentioned may not have been mainsteam okinwana weapons but may have grown in popularity nowadays and so people may think they are.

Yeah --- I forgot the 'chucks. I'm going to try to get my hands on that book to see if it lines up with what I've learned.

Basically I was taught that all of the Okinawan weapons were some sort of farm tool

bo staff - used to carry buckets across shoulders

chucks - beating the rice

tonfa - also for rice beating

sai - I learned the long blade is for poking holes in the ground to plant seeds and the shorter prong was dragged along the ground to build irrigation trenches (problem is you'd have to grab the long blade to drag the short blade thru the ground --- doesn't make sense) --- I later learned the sai was built as a weapon and not a farm tool

Aku / Oar -- used to manuever the boats

kama - used to chop the fields (like a sickle)

KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to know what ur talking about, your probably in the right. It says this book in front of me (Nunchaku the complete training guide by Jiro Shiroma) that the sai was "A curved blade attached to a wood handle which cut grain stalks".

Does anyone know how to use the chucks cuz a bought this book to learn how to use them; I tell ya its is friggen hard, i've given up, it must take loads and loads of practice, some of the techniques in the book are so hard to perform. I like to use the Jodan Yoko Kamae figure of 8 (only one i can do!), good at building the forearm and wrist.

Its a good book though; if your've got the stomach for it, u can get it from https://www.blitzsport.com

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

(Nunchaku the complete training guide by Jiro Shiroma) that the sai was "A curved blade attached to a wood handle which cut grain stalks".

It sounds like Shiroma is describing the kama. Perhaps it was an editing error?

A better book on nunchaku usage is in "Nunchaku and Sai" by Ryusho Sakagami.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Actually ur probably right, how can i sai be curved?!

I suppose he could be talking about the wing blades on the outside and then the middle blade went into the wooden handle, cuz thats a pretty big printing error.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 2 years later...

i have no idea what weapons these are :-? im only white belt but was brown in kyokushin but left it!! :roll:

Also is there any1 in leicester doing the same style as me???

e-mail me :idea:

IIIIIII

II II

II II

IIIIIII

II

II rez

I've voted Nunchaku because its so cool! and Bruce Lee has made it ledgendary, I mean its two sticks and a ball bearing chain WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!

Exactly :)

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.