• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Karate Weapon?

Rich_2k3

Whats your favorite Karate weapon?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favorite Karate weapon?

• Nunchaku
    • Yawara Sticks
    • Sai
    • Fighting Knife
    • Tonfa
    • Staff
    • Bo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Kamas? Thats Outrageous

Nunchuks/ Bo is next...I'm doing Nunchuks now...due to the fact the instructor who taught the kamas left since he finished college, he is going to get a job....

So I'm building my wrist strength using my Nunchuks...and I will learn the kamas...

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

Just 2 answer all your questions about WHY ITS NOT ON HERE, the ones I picked r the main karate weapons that were used in Okinawan against the invaders, they all originate from farming and fishing tools. Thats the reason they are called Karate weapons, other weapons were probably created after the occupation of okinawan and r not true traditional karate weapons :) . Edited by Rich_2k3

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Just 2 answer all your questions about WHY ITS NOT ON HERE, the ones I picked r the main karate weapons that were used in Okiwana against the invaders, they all originate from farming and fishing tools. Thats the reason they are called Karate weapons, other weapons were probably created after the occupation of okiwana and r not true traditional karate weapons :) .
The main OKINAWAN weapons :

bo staff

tonfa

sai - disputed use as a farm tool

kama - which aren't included

aku (sp?) - the oar -- which isn't included

KarateForums.com Sempai

You missed out nunchkau which were used 4 beating rice. There is a book called 'Complete book of Karate weapons' by 'Theodore Gambordella' former US Karate champion and Weapons Champion and its states that the main okinwana weapons were those I listed. However the other weapons that people have mentioned may not have been mainsteam okinwana weapons but may have grown in popularity nowadays and so people may think they are.

according to Sensei Demura in his book "nunchkau, karate weapon of self defence" one possible origin of the weapon is that it was part of a horses bridle (the bit i think, i don't have the book to hand)

I have the book, your right, it says in antcient chinese history it was origionally used as horse bridles but came into historical prominence when it was used on the ryukyu islands (okinwana) for beating rice.

Kamas were used to chop stuff. In the farms. I guess. I'm pretty sure they were farm implements, though. :)

Since they're not on the list, I'm going with bo staff. I have a feeling that when I play lacrosse this spring, I won't be able to stop spinning and striking with the stick :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.