• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having trouble with leg/body kicks

First of all, let me introduce myself to this board. This seems like a helpful and informative place, so I figured I'd post my question here.

Anyhow, as the name implies, I have a good boxing background, and have recently gotten into MT and IR kickboxing. I am having a real hard time developing my kicks, and I am having trouble getting the right distance (I hit with my instep rather than shin), and I always get COMPLETELY off balance. They say my timing is excellent, but the technique and power are a little off.

If I can get my kicks in order, my trainers say I have a good chance to do well because of my hand speed and power, so this is very important to me. I don't want to be considered a "one dimensional fighter", and I would appreciate ANY advice on training tips, technique, etc. that you feel would help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first welcome to the boards!! :nod:

:wave:

okay maybe try balancing on one foot and like your doing a roundhouse kick then do on other one intil you have your balance completely then try doing the same thing but to a bag and swist your body so that your opposite shoulders facing the bag and heel then kick the bag try to straight throw it like you want to then the power into then bag will let you push off back into your fighting stance!! :smile:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

the power is all to do with the twist in a roundhouse, therefore it comes from the hips. i find going through the moves slowly, then gradually building up speed is the best way. push the kick from the hips.

1) lift one leg up

2) pivot on the foot(as doing a side kick)

3) flick the kick out, hitting with the bridge of your foot.

GOOD LUCK! :cowboy:

I was going to suggest excactly the same as nat has. Work through the move step by step, slowly, and as you get the balance and the experience, speed it up :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Thank all you guys for your replies. I did in fact do what you guys said last night, and it seemed to work. I am first raising my knee, then pivoting my foot, then twisting my hips.

Hopefully this will continue to help.

Thanks

Keep practising and always make sure you're turning your hips and remember to snap your leg back right after you kick. For balance, try holding your leg up, keep it there and execute a few (5-10) roundkicks, non-stop. Keep your abs tight, as well as the leg you're standing on and just keep repeating, gradually building up over time.

Lori

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-