• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choosing Sides

I to am into switching sides to disrupt an opponent. It usually takes people off guard when I switch to a strong side forward, I am also right handed. It makes a quick jab to the head much easier and if you know how to throw a great right hook you can send people to the ground faster. 8)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to lead with my strong side, being right-handed at that. I have always done things opposite of what IS supose to be. I shoot left-handed too. I also try to train my left side to build it up, but I am lazy about it because of a strong right-side. I don't know why I lead with the right side other than it feels more comfortable and I guess I feel my right side can take care of business. Good post Kirves!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

I agree, Rotten. I'm also right handed but prefer to lead right-foot forwards. However, we train in both equally well in my karate dojo, so I've got used to leading with the left now.

I suppose that I prefer to lead with the right because then my stronger right hand is closer to the target. Either that, or it's just 'cos I've always been a bit 'awkward' and gotta do things differently from the norm! lol :P

Although I'm right handed I play pool left handed and generally use scissors left handed. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I like the topic, along time ago it was pointed out to me that when i did any power combat i fought naturally. But when i did point sparring tournaments I switched to southpaw style.

After thinking about it alot more I realized that the reason i switched to southpaw in tournaments is because so many schools tought how to fight against a closed stance so often( against another natural fighter) that they were confused when i turned my side and fought them as a southpaw.

Whenever anyone started catching on i would switch to natural and the confusion was usually enough to get the extra points in where i needed them.

I have tried a few times in kickbxoign matches to change southpaw in a middle of a fight to see how the confusion factor set in..

To be honest it didnt make much of a difference. The only reasoning i could come up with myself was that in point sparring too many competitiors are thinking of a target to hit, and when that target is presented to them at a different angle then they are used to hitting they have problems adjusting.

In the more harder combat styles i think that instead of specific targets they are looking at zones to strike and the angles are already there depending on what the zones you are wanting to hit are available.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i like my weak side in front because of the extra power you get from the extra momentum and a kick from the back leg is stronger than a kick from the the front. (not saying i wont switch sides to confuse people):)

Fist visible Strike invisible

• 2 weeks later...

I can use either side forward when sparring, although some kicks are smoother off one side than the other. I also snowboard. Being right-handed, I usually ride normal, but can also ride goofy. With the bo, I can do either side forward, but in baseball, archery, and shooting I definitely prefer left forward. I guess it's all about what comes naturally, and what an individual finds to be effective.

My school trains to use either side forward, open hand or knife, and we spar from open and closed stances. It seems strange to me that anyone would want to limit themselves to one side or the other forward all the time.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.