• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i was wondering if they spar in hapkido?thanks guys :D

Hey. Still searching or shall I say, researching? :D

From what I know, there isn't any sparring in Hapkido. Reason being, supposedly; "many Hapkido techniques are unsuitable for use in sparring, as their use would result in injury."

Most-likely, I think the techniques are done with a non-resisting "opponent" more like a "partner."

However, it always depends on the school.

It should be noted, I have no firsthand experience with Hapkido.

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

I started studying Hapkido about 4 months ago, and I asked my instructor recently, "When do we get to spar?"

I was told that he does not let students in the lower belts spar as it is too easy for us to get carried away and hurt each other. Eventually, we will do ground work (sounded similar to the mat work I did in Judo) and stand up sparing. I am interested to see how we will structure the stand up sparing for the safety of the students... It would be very easy to dislocate something if some of the techniques we are learning are done at full speed.

Untill then, I think I will just stand-up spar a friend that is a BB in Tangsoodo and practice groundwork with my brother that is a wrestler. Of course, I will ask my instructor before doing that because we are in a traditional school and I need to ask him to spar.

Take care. I hope more people can contribute to this thread because I am extremely interested to hear other peoples experiences.

Cheers!

We are in South Jersey (Cherry Hill area), East of Philadelphia about 5-10 miles.

That's cool. :) Who is the teacher? I'm not familiar with southern Jersey.

So your enjoying Hapkido?

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Perhaps H@pkid0ist will see this thread.

In the event he does not, here's his response on another thread.

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.