• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's an odd question. Is there a weapon that could be found in any style dojo or kwoon?

We practice the bong, dangum, jangum, and jipangi primarily in our Association. Other styles of Tang Soo Do practice no weapons.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Well I dont know what some of those weapons are that Tom mentioned I think Sword and Staff are the big two. The reason for this I beleive is most of the weapons Korea has had have been either from Okinawa or China. I think therefore they are found more in those arts than the ones the Koreans tried to make solely korean.

Long Live the Fighters!

That's a difficult question, especially considering that many TKD dojos don't practice weapons at all, say nothing about any other styles.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

my bad ;)

Bong = Staff

Dangum = Knife

Jamggum = Sword

Jipangi = Cane

Haedong Kumdo is clearly a sword art. Hapkido, Hwarangdo and (I think) Kuk Sool Won also use the Cane. Many other schools use flexible weapons of various lengths as well.

Other schools even teach weapons that are traditionally considered part of the RyuKyu Kobudo: Sai, Nunchaku, Tonfa, etc. I think this varies more in terms of the instructor and their experiences than the curriculum of any particular art.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• 2 weeks later...

and (I think) Kuk Sool Won also use the Cane.

Yes! Kuk Sool is loaded with weapons training, but typically you don't start weapons training until brown belt, sometimes red belt... unless you join Black Belt Club (accelerated training) where you can start as soon as your instructor believes you're ready. (Belts in Kuk Sool are white, yellow, blue, red, brown, and black)

Kuk Sool teaches the long and short staff, long and short sword, archery, cane... heck even a fan or a rope can be a weapon! :brow: Those are just the few that I know of, I'm sure I have left out many other weapons taught in Kuk Sool.

That's what I love about Kuk Sool, there is so much to learn in the curriculum.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I'm sure I have left out many other weapons taught in Kuk Sool.

Last time I counted, we had 23 different weapons.

I don't think I've made it through more than half at this point.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

in hwa rang do we have 108 weapons, and you start them as soon as you begin, with you're first being sang jyel bang (nunchaku). i doubt anyone short of grand master lee himself knows all 108, perhaps his sons. i don't think i've met anyone who know's 30, i'd have to check.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

My current style teaches staff, broad sword, knife, and stick. My old style taught staff, knife, stick, kama, chain whip, 3 sectional staff, spear, and sword. These weapons are not specific to Korean arts but have been borrowed from other cultures.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/