• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree there, Heidi :)

I am now an instructor for the YMCA TKD program, and I love it. I wouldn't quit for nothing. I just did testing (no one higher than green at the "Y"), and all of them did really well, and they were so excited (I am also "picky" when it comes to testing .... even for my rank, because my instructor is). I feel proud because I taught them this stuff over an eight week program. After they had a "not so good" instructor from last session. They loved it and I loved it. I'm soooo looking forward to next session :)

Laurie F

• 3 weeks later...
People kept asking me to open a dojo. When my sensei asked me to, how could I say no?

Uhhh...open your mouth and say..."No"..."SIR!" :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I teach much for the same reasons as people have stated above, the reality is that I was thrown into the position through circumstance and a sense of loyalty to my fellow students.

Jury is still out with regard to whether or not I will continue teaching. There are many positives to teaching but there are equally as many negatives. The positives generally fall into helping to build well-balanced people for the stability of our society category; negatives generally fall into the political * and financial viability category.

The thought of immortality through teaching is seductive; taking the weekend off to go fishing with a few mates (now improbable) is equally appealing at times. I have yet to find the right balance.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

I love teaching...largely in part because I'm good at it. I love working with kids because it's incredible to help mold them into adults, and see them learn the art I love. I love working with adults because they can handle the more intricate and in-depth explanations that I give, and I enjoy the feeling I get from earning the respect of an elder.

I love causing the "spark" in someone's eyes when a difficult concept has become clear to them. I love watching someone who struggles develop into a masterful practitioner. I love solving the unique challenges each student presents each time they say: "Miss Tammy, can you help me with my kata? I just can't seem to get it right."

I love getting to know the students, and I take pride in each of their accomplishments. Each one is like a little brother or sister to me, looking up to its older sibling for guidance.

There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to list them all! Not just things like spreading knowledge of martial arts, but molding kids into responsible adults...into leaders. I enjoyed being a role model and did my best in all endeavors.

Wow I miss teaching :bawling:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

In all honesty, I came to a crossroads in my career: continue to work for someone else, make someone else prosperous and proud or do something for myself. I've always been an exceptional martial artist and an ever better teacher and advisor.

I'll continue to teach as a profession. I didn't believe in that concept 20 years ago, but times and beliefs sometime change.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

• 1 year later...

I teach out of some very profound emotions.

*The first is that I feel a deep obligation to pass on what I have learned in order to honor those that enabled the knowledge to be passed on to me.

*Karate has become such a passion for me that I cannot help sharing it with others.

*I am also a natural teacher. (I was actually asked by one of my instructors "Who is supposed to be the instructor here, HMMM? If you want to teach a class get your own studio!" I was kinda embarassed. :roll: )

OSU!