• advertisement_alt

ITF vs. WTF

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was once told:

ITF - In The Face

WTF - Watch The Face

Which implies that ITF allows hits to the face and the WTF do not. As I am naive in these matters I do not know how much truth there is in it. Probably not much :)

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

This really isnt a discussion of WTF versus ITF. Rather its a discussion of Olympic versus Point Sparring. Anyone from either org can fight Olympic or Point style this is why I make the distinction.

Olympic style does allow full contact punches and kicks to the body and full contact kicks to the head although I think you get 2 points if you knock someone down with a kick. Olympic sparring is also continuous unless someone falls or gets knocked down at which point they are reset.

Point sparring allows kicks and punches to both the head and body but they must be light contact. There are a couple types of point sparring that I have seen. One type goes to 2 or 3 point and you get 1 point for each technique that lands and you are then reset to begin again. The other type goes to 5 or 6 points and you get 1 point for a punch with the back hand and 2 for kicks at which point you are reset. Olympic sparring tends to emphasize more power and point sparring tends to emphasize more speed although both types have elements of the other.

Long Live the Fighters!

Both have their qualities. I like point sparring because of the variaty of techniques, but don't like the light contact. I don't like WTF rules (no hand techs to the head at all), but like the full contact. I've done both, so I put them together most of the time :) My school (luckily) does different types of sparring. So I get the best of both worlds, and grappling to boot :)

Laurie F

ITF tournament Fighting is a bit more practical. WTF the contact is full but there is no punching to the face. Which is more practical can be debated for days. I perfer fighting ITF style, I strongly believe you fight how you train Most (not all WTF tournament fighters) fight with their guard down which is a bad habit in any self defence situation. A power rear leg kick isn't always the answer to a quick problem. I enjoy fighting ITF tournaments over WTF tournaments because of punching and other hand technics not scored in WTF tourney's. Training in both is good for everyone thou...

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I was once told:

ITF - In The Face

WTF - Watch The Face

Which implies that ITF allows hits to the face and the WTF do not. As I am naive in these matters I do not know how much truth there is in it. Probably not much :)

It appears that there is some truth in this after all then. In that case a nice little ditti I think :)

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Well, some of us get in those licks to the head anyway HEHEHEHEHE! How many times did I get warned at the test anyway Laurie? :lol:

8)

Three that I'm aware of LOL. Nice hook kicks, though ;)

Anyways, I think self defense or more realistic training comes into play. At least, in my school, anyways. So sparring isn't a big deal to me. We do more realistic stuff in class. So when it comes to sparring, it's more fun than anything.

Laurie F