• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home Training for Jiu Jitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Randori is where you grapple/wrestle with a partner for a certain amount of time or until someone taps out. At our dojo we would start facing each other in a sqatting position holding onto each others gi's. Then we would be on the ground trying to get a lock or choke on the other person. :)

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

If you don't "Randori" in jiu-jitsu what do you do? Just learn moves all practice?

We warm up, do exercises like escape movement drills, and then mix up rolling (randori-ing) with learning new moves for the rest of the practice in about a 4:1 time ratio.

TJS said:

Unless you have a partner to train with it's going to be nearly impossible to apply new things.

I completely agree.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

If you don't "Randori" in jiu-jitsu what do you do? Just learn moves all practice?

That is why I was confused by Ninjanurse's response of "randori in jiu jitsu???"

We warm up, do exercises like escape movement drills, and then mix up rolling (randori-ing) with learning new moves for the rest of the practice in about a 4:1 time ratio.

Basically, what you just described sounds like a typical class I was taking for jiu jitsu. Everyday I still do my drills, rolls, breakfalls, etc. I also practice the movements of some of the throws that I had learned; osoto geri, ogoshi, ippon and morote saio nage, etc..Right now I am only able to get together with my training partner for an hour once a week, but it is better than nothing. :wink:

First of all, I acknowledge that there are different jujitsu styles and different interpretations of what randori is. In my experience, jujitsuka do not "randori" in the sense of play as in sparring because of the visciousness and finality of many of the techniques. Certain techniques can be practiced as in judo randori and grappling or "ground play" is an exercise to learn body skills and mechanics of techniques, etc. however it is never practiced in a realistic manner as that would lead to the death of many ukes. Traditional styles never randori as in judo or sparring as in karate or TKD for just this reason. Modern/sport styles however do utilize such "play" in their practice and even go to sport jujitsu tournaments to "randori". When I say "be careful what you play with" I mean exactly that. It would be ill advised to play with lethal techniques with an inexperienced uke and/or do them as they are intended under fighting conditions for "play". It is a matter of philosophy in many cases, neither opinion being better that the other.

Now if that isn't as clear as mud!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks for clearing that up Ninjanurse!! The instructors at my dojo just call the style of jiu jitsu that we do "Japanese Jiu Jitsu". I am sure there are plenty of different styles of jiu jitsu..I just haven't heard of them. I have only been involved in MA since March 2002. Before I started taking MA classes I never could have imagined that there were so many different styles.

The randori that we did in my classes were either just a free randori or the instructor would say only chokes or only arm bars this time. Basically we would go for the technique, but not "crank it full force" (that is my instructors quote). Also the person would tap if the technique, was tight, hurt, etc..

I do understand your point about badly hurt ukes, and being careful..Luckily, I have not had any serious injuries yet....just a lot bruises, pulled muscles.

What is your style of jiu jitsu called ?

Thanks for your advice and opinions...It is very much appreciated.

Randori is where you learn flow and good ukemi.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"