• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home Training for Jiu Jitsu

I have a little experience in Jiu Jitsu, and would like to continue training in it . I have seen book packages on Ebay for a bunch of books that will help you train to be a black belt. I am very curious about these books, but I don't know if it is a scam or not. Some of the books are also sold on this website. https://www.wwwin.com I really like Jiu Jitsu, but unfortunately cannot train in a school any longer, because of my work schedule. Any opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

:-?

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You could get some instructionals and a partner that wants to roll and practice with you, you could learn something.. it's better than nothing.

I also suggest you, if you can take some private lessons when your work let you, it would be good too..

Good luck :)

Valencia - Venezuela.

I also dabble in JJ but, like you, I cannot give it the dedication required to become competent. I have brought various books on the art but generally find the intricacies difficult to follow from a book. It is also very beneficial to have a partner!!

I do not recommend books to train from. Their good for a few tips, etc and you will benefit from them to an extent but any book that makes promises is generally a rip off and reserved for the naive.

My advice to you would be to stick with the shotokan karate. Perhaps buy a few JJ books and videos. Train at a JJ dojo whenever you can and find a like minded friend that you can practice with. As you get further in your karate studies you should find further locks, chokes and simple throws (more sweeps, actually. But takedowns none-the-less) being incorporated making a later transition to JJ quite easy. Patience my friend :karate:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

You absolutely need a partner.

Books can definately help you out. My two favorites are the Master Text which you can buy from http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/ which is an EXCELLENT resource. I keep this book in my gear bag so if I'm having any particular trouble with something I can look it up. This one HUGE book really does a great job covering all different parts of jiu-jitsu, with gi, without gi, and vale tudo. I can't recommend it highly enough.

The book "Passing the Guard" is also a great one. Its right here http://enotalone.com/books/0972109757.html

Its more of a specialized resource, but passing the guard is such a huge part of the game I thought it was well worth the twenty something dollars. The first time I flipped through it I was grinning ear to ear when I saw that there was something like 8 variations on the scissors pass. There are also sections on countering different guard submissions. Supposedly the authors will be coming out with addional books on the other parts of the game, and I'll be first in line to buy them.

I agree with Reklats, you ABSOLUTELY need to have a training partner-one that knows how to fall very well. While Jujitsu does have its striking arts, many of the techniques involve very quick and sometimes viscious takedowns. You cannot learn these techniques without an uke. Even an accomplished Jujitsuka needs to practice new techniques and combinations on someone to become proficient. Books are good resources for supplemental training and ideas, but nothing can replace the real thing! Keep looking for a training partner or, as already suggested, someone that will give private lessons. Good luck!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks for all of the great advice!!! I will look into getting those books Reklats. I have a friend from my karate class that is comfortable breakfalling, and I have been practicing all of my current techniques on her. Randori is a problem though, because my partner doesn't know anything about JJ..so there is no challenge... Thanks again for everyone's advice!!

Randori in jujitsu???????? Be careful what you play with.

Yes, we would randori at least once a week in class. Is this not normal? That was the only school I have ever taken JJ at.