• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We've been tossing around the idea of starting a tournament team at my school....how would we go about getting sponsorship for hitting some of the larger tournaments --- they can get pretty expensive!

Thanks in advance

KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Do you mean martial arts school or university school? My university would shell out some major bucks for our club to go to tournaments in other cities. They'd usually give us money for hotel rooms, provide big vans for transportation, and we'd end up having enough school funds left over to get pizza a couple times or defray some of the entry cost for everyone.

We've been tossing around the idea of starting a tournament team at my school....how would we go about getting sponsorship for hitting some of the larger tournaments --- they can get pretty expensive!

Thanks in advance

My club just go round the local businesses begging for sponsorship, basically...

We managed to get the (quite generous) sponsorship of a local construction company and have their name on t-shirts, jackets, etc. They also put in their adverts that they sponsor my club, so that it looks good for them (supporting their local community etc). Try pushing that angle to some businesses; that if they sponsor your club then it will reflect well on them because they're helping to support possible future world champions!

Also, do you share your training hall with anyone else? If so, how about trying to 'tap' them for cash?

As well as asking for sponsorship from companies/individuals, how about generating some ££££ by having fund-raising events and seeing if they can provide you with money?

Dunno it it's the same in the US, but here in the UK amateur sportspeople are largely neglected when it comes to government sports funding - it can be nigh on impossible to get grants etc. It's a shame, because there are a lot of talented karateka out there who never really get the chance to show their skills in competition because of lack of funding. :(

Good luck with raising sponsorship!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks for the input! Basically what I've put together so far is a type of sponsorship package --- I'm going to hit some local companies and some major corporations (cause hey, you never know!)

Sounds like you had some good feedback in the local community, that's encouraging...I hope we can do the same!

I'm going to talk to my instructor about a fundraiser --- I'd like to see us all with Team warmups and that can help pay the costs.

KarateForums.com Sempai

A random thought from my paintball playing days- companies will be much more willing to shell out money if you have some awards to show them. Make any past tournaments you've won/placed in a part of your sales pitch. If nothing else, make sure they know how mayn people are going to see you compete, etc.

You could always offer them a billboard spot on your gi too :)

After I posted I've done some more research on the web...I put together a 9-page sponsor package draft. It's 9 pages due to page breaks and pictures --- 'm not trying to bore people to tears.

It includes an intro of who we are and what we do, benefits of sponsorship, our costs, our track record, our bios, and our anticipated 2004 tournament calendar.

Basically we are leaving the option open for 3 types of donations: total long-term sponsorship -- that would be awesome! They would get a side patch on our gi (we're not willing to do the spread across the back - we are a more traditional team) -- they would be listed on our website and on our team t-shirts

one time donation would be just that -- with no commitment.

and in-kind donations -- like cases of water, gymbags....non-monetary donations.

Its one month into the fiscal year so I don't know if that will work for or against us. Also, I don't know about tax deduction benefits for companies --- I'll have to find that our cause I'm sure some will ask.

KarateForums.com Sempai

I think what I'm going to do too to increase the chance of feedback is include a self addressed stamped envelope with a form that says

a. yes I'd like to discuss the possibility of long-term sponsorship

b. please accept our donation of ________. Good luck!

I was thinking of putting a

c. Not interested...or something to that effect

or is that just giving them an easy way out?

aefibird -- did you have a presentation when you went to local companies? who did you ask to speak to?

KarateForums.com Sempai

Please, check out the competition rules concerning the patches of sponsors. Generally, WKF rules are very strict about that.

Also, be sure that your students like that idea. I know I would never put any other patches to my do-gi than one style patch to my left chest.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Basically we'd be willing to do a side arm 1x2 type patch --- but like I said --- nothing spread across the back of the gi. Depends on where we compete --- at NASKA you can where just about anything...not so sure about NBL and the new WSKF
KarateForums.com Sempai