• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate training

martialartsresearcher

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends. Simplified answer: Yes. True answer: No. It all depends on style, school, teacher, you...

For example, in Seibukan's first kata, Seisan, there is a lot of grappling involved in bunkai - which is trained even before the kata training itself begins.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Karate is mainly a striking art. For the most part, you do learn strking first. SOme style do have throws and a little grappling, but as far as I know, the main focus is always striking.

Mostly striking first, as karate is a striking art. However it depends on your sensei. Plus, there are examples of grabs, throws and locks within kata bunkai, so if you train in bunkai then it's likely that you'll do those as well as 'regular' striking. :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

from my experience you learn the basic blocks first

upper, lower, outer and inside to out

along with lunge, snap and reverse thrust punch

front, side and roundhouse kicks. first of all alone, then practising against opponents.

'grappling' comes later. That's why learning Karate if you stick with it and practise outside the dojo should come fairly 'easily'.

basics first and up to ever more 'tricky' moves later

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

Karate is mainly a striking art. For the most part, you do learn strking first. SOme style do have throws and a little grappling, but as far as I know, the main focus is always striking.

couldn't say it any better my self...