• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD Fighting Stance(s)

I live in an area where most of the martial arts schools are TKD, but they are all non-traditional, more combative oriented TKD. I just signed up for one of these schools, and start next week. The schools in this area train the traditional stances, i.e. front and back stances. But when they fight (and I've spared a bunch of them), they all use a fighting stance that is similar to the basic Hapkido stance. I have seen them use the back stance periodically, but have yet to see a front stance used in a match.

My question is, do any of you train and use traditional TKD stances in a fight, or do you use a non-traditional fighting stance? Or maybe both? Which do you prefer and use the most?

I'm curiouse because one of the things that intrigues me is transfering the principles found in the TKD stances and useing them in the fighting stance. But I also think I can see some uses for the TKD stances and footwork. So I thought I'd ask some of you that have been doing this for a while.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We trained in traditional stances when it came to floor techniques and kata, but never transferred those over to sparring. For sparring stances, we stood completely sideways, most weight on the back leg, and both legs slightly bent (to prevent soemone from, say, jumping on your knee and hyperextending it... :roll: )

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Usually tae kwon do stances are upright standing up on your side...

I've been critisized by W.T.F stylists that fighting in a short stance is slow.

Well, I like to also use the short deep stance on some occasions. Short stances are good for defensive tactics. it allows you to keep your body away at a further distance from your opponent. You can lean back, keeping your body away from your opponent.

I also like to use this stance for evasion and to tease my opponent. It's a slow stance for attacking, but fast for getting away from opponent. Try it.!

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

Thanks to all of you for the info so far.

kt81, I assume by 'short' you mean your own height is lowered? What you describe sounds a lot like the yielding in many CMA's. Better watch out, you'll give TKD a rep as a 'soft' art! :P

Actually, I've worked out enough with variouse TKD fighters that I think you can insert or even convert some soft moves in the system. If I didn't think that, I would not have signed up with a TKD class. But I have to admit, sometimes it will be a challenge. Fortunately, the instructors at this school agree with me. They've often picked my brain about Kenpo because it so successfully combines hard and soft. They also train Modern Arnis to add flow, which requires soft applications. And I really enjoy the FMA's. I'm looking forward to this experience.

Freedom isn't free!

i sue a lot of different stance changes a shifts when i fight, but it depends on who i'm sparring, really.

Most of the time I fight from a back stance, most of my weight on the back leg, and relatively low.

I'll sometimes shift to a higher stance for mobility.

Sometimes i even fight from a horse stance, even lower than my ususal stance. i find i can burst forward quickly from this stance, and also that i can spin faster into a spinning kick.

Front stance is only generally used as a transitional stance- i shift into it sometimes when punching or using other hand techniques, but shift right back into a more guarded stance again after executing the technique.

I use alot of weight on my back leg so I can use a front leg kick. If you use what natually comes to you, that sould work. Playing around with various types of stances can change your training habits but I usually revert back to what I first learned.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 3 weeks later...
In a fight? Use whatever works for you. Assuming a stance can sometimes tip off your opponent.

This is actually the main reason I was asking about stances. The back stance, for example, often telegraphs a kick. But I've fought a few TKD guys who know how to use that stance to set up options, like foot maneuvers, feinghts, checks and throws. You can do all that from the modified fighting stance, useing the same principles and concepts found in that back stance (which is what I'm comfortable with since I fight from a neutal bow).

I see fewer practical uses of the front stance, outside of training basics and principles that will transfer to the fighting stance. But in situations where it will work, it can be awesome. Like if you get inside your opponents guard and check his weapons, step in between his legs into a front stance. Get close and occupy his space. Your lead leg will slightly buckle his knee outward (I'm thinking of his trailing leg here), destroying his ballance. Now, pivot your stance 90' as you simultaneously thrust a heel palm strike to his jaw. This works even better if you get outside and step behind him, then pivot the stance with a heel palm to his jaw. Sweep!

Being new as a student of TKD, I sort of wanted a few opinions from others with more experience and who might have been trained differently. How do you guys make traditional stances work for you? Or do you just abandon traditional stances and use a modified fighting stance?

Thanks to those who've replied!

Freedom isn't free!