Grading for your next belt

aefibird

Where do you go to grade?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you go to grade?

• At my dojo
    • Another grading place

Hi all

this is just a quick poll to find out if most people grade with their own sensei in their own club or if they go somewhere else to grade. I was just curious!! :D

Personally, in the organisation I train with, we go to a regional grading centre and grade with 3 examiners and their assistants - one examiner each for kihon, kumite and kata. The final examiner is for kata and he is also the chief examiner for the whole organisation in the UK and he decides whether a person passes, gets a temporary grade or fails, based on the comments from the other examiners and his own judgement.

I was just wondering if the 'going to somewhere else to grade' thing is fairly unusual or not - do most of you grade at your own dojo?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi,

I run my own club but get my student's gradings done by my Sensei (6th Dan). These used to be at his gradings (we'd just turn up) but now it is at my own dojo at my request (we use judo mats for breakfalls and diverolls which are now assessed as part of the gradings).

I (and my assistants) still grade at our Sensei's dojo at his grading nights.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I test my students at my own studio, but generally bring in outside guest instructors to run the examination and sit on the panel. At black belt level in our association, everyone from a region comes together for a regional testing in a large group, currently held twice a year. testing for 4th dan and above is done once a year at a master's clinic and is not open to th epublic, while testings for ranks below 4th dan are all open to the public to watch.

I can (and do) test my own students up to a 2nd Dan black belt in my own dojo. The nearest other instructor of this EXACT same system is about 600+ miles away in Seattle or Minnesota...unfortunately.

When I was a student, my sensei promoted me as far as 1st brown (ikkyu), and then his sensei came to visit (1978) from Okinawa (an 8th Dan Master) and promoted me to my Shodan. I tested for Nidan in Minnesota under a 6th Dan, and Seattle for my Sandan while attending a seminar with the same (now 9th Dan) Okinawan Master that promoted me to my Shodan. I've been a Sandan since 1990 *sigh*.

Higher promotions are slow in this art unless you are able to travel a lot for instruction and training...which I'm not able to do. Fortunately, I'm not in the art for belts, but rather for the love of art itself! If I was in it for belts, how far/high do you suppose I'd be if I was (for example) in a TKD association after 29 years? :brow:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

how far/high do you suppose I'd be if I was (for example) in a TKD association after 29 years? :brow:

depends what TKD association you were with, but with 29 years straight of active training, I'd guess you could be as high as 6th or maybe 7th dan (7th would really be pushing it though)

I was a 3rd dan myself for 9 years and just got promoted to 4th, so I have some idea of what it means to wait for the chance to be promoted,

but you've been at the same rank for 13 years? It's good to see that you have the right attitude about it. I know a lot of people would get extremely frustrated by that.

depends what TKD association you were with, but with 29 years straight of active training, I'd guess you could be as high as 6th or maybe 7th dan (7th would really be pushing it though)

Yeah, that would be about the same in my system. *sigh* :lol:

but you've been at the same rank for 13 years? It's good to see that you have the right attitude about it. I know a lot of people would get extremely frustrated by that.

Yep, and you know, it really never bothers me..honest! lol I think it frustrates my sempai (2nd Dan) though because I've taught him everything I know. He just needs to get it polished better...know what I mean?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thanks everyone for your replies - very interesting comments!

Good luck with your orange belt, Darce.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!