• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preparing for a martial arts life.

Ok. I haven't been here a while, but I have some questions. Last Saturday I recieved my 1st dan black belt under my instructor, and since I'm 16 and a junior in high school this got me thinking. Like all kids I've wanted to be a million things when I "grow up" but it's always been in the back of my head that I love training and I've been seriously considering becoming a martial arts teacher when I get older.

I've been teaching kids to kick and punch since I was 13 - I started off as a very young assistant instructor in a large kids program. Now, at 16, I sometimes teach classes myself, and I have a lot of power in the school, something usually not besotwed upon younger teachers - other instructors have said I am a "natural" because I am the oldest of 6 kids. Kids like my classes and I am generally respected, even by kids as old as 13 or 14. I work about 15 hours a week at my dojang.

In 2 years, I am "supposed" to go away to college, and I am definitely planning on attaining a bachelor's degree and most probably a masters as well, but I can not imagine life without teaching martial arts. My 3 younger brothers also train (they are "junior black belts" or "poom" belts, the highest ranked children, and have been training longer than I have). One of my brothers is 13 and very serious about his training. My father said that he would fund a school if we ever wanted to open one, and he would recieve a % of the profits.

I have read a lot about opening schools on this forum and have found them helpful, but for all those on here who own schools I have a few more questions.

--What might one study in college to prepare for this kind of proffession?

--If my instructor teaches a more "hybrid" style (BJJ, muay thai, and ITF TKD) and belongs to no federation, how will I pregress in dan rank enough to be able to open a school? I mean, BJJ is BJJ and I could always train at a school, but VERY few tae kjwon do schools would accept my dan ranking even though I know the forms and curriculum of the ITF.

--How long should I wait? My insturtcor was only about 27 when he opened his school.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would suggest that you focus heavily on the business side of owning a dojo, when you go to college. Marketing, economics, finances, accounting, business ethics...all would be great. You'll probably want to study physical education as well, so you have some education on the subject other than what you receive in the dojo.

I think it's good to be balanced in the teaching of and business of owning a dojo. That doesn't mean you have to run both sides, but I think that being well-rounded is important; knowing a lot about business can help you work with the person in charge of it.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I agree wth what the others have said, but also have a few other points for you to consider.

You're 16 and a junior in high school now, and will be 18 or so when you graduate and start college in the fall. Opening a full time comercial dojo at anything UNDER 25 years of age I think is a mistake, no matter how good you are, because in the eyes of the public, you're still "just a kid", and would lack in credibility and experience, no matter how much you actually have.

Something you might consider is this. When you go to college, check out the availability of the gym or other rooms and think about starting a small class of your own. It will give you good teaching experience, plus bring in a modest income. Key here is don't charge to much, because college kids are generally pretty broke most of the time. Hey, gotta have beer money! lol Possibly see if you can actually make it a college club. I did this in college, had a constitution, rules, President, etc, but it was mostly for show..and basically, just a karate class. We had to have a faculty advisor, and fortunately, one of the history teachers was in the class. Was a pretty sweet deal, actually, and a good place to start your first class on your own.

Edited by Shorinryu Sensei

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Good idea, Shorinryu Sensei! Starting a martial arts club on campus could be a great way for you to gain some experience...obviously you already have significant teaching experience. This would allow you to add to that, as well as get the different standpoint: being completely responsible for the club. :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

All are good sugestions. I sort of did the same thing. I was 18 when I got mine and I wanted to Coach so I went into education and became a teacher so now I teach, Coach and teach.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest getting a Business Management degree. This will give you the well roundednesss you are looking for.

As for starting a session in college...great idea :brow:

That is how Bruce Lee started his dojang

Good Luck :karate:

I agree that starting you're own Martial Arts club on campus would be great! You would get teaching expierence, get to see the hi's an lows of running that kinds of operation and maybe build up a future client set. Study business so if you ever plan to open a DOJO you can handle the busniess aspect of it, rent, purchasing equipment,getting members to pay etc....

Good luck, looks like you have what it takes already so I say go for it man!