• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

advice on what might suit me

boxing and JJ were the ones i thought wouldnt fit the purpose at all. since i want an emphasis von knees, elbows, stricking, and kicks and not throwing+falling or just punching. no dissing of those styles meant, but i dont think i'd be happy with these.

the wushu style is somewhat original wushu. very acrobatic moves, backflips, but self defense training as well+weapon forms...

the karate here is called "karate-do". never heard of it before.

so what art (not regarding those i meantioned; maybe i just didnt do enough researches) would you advice me to check out? all in all i wish a physically challenging training and i want to learn how to fight, meaning not in the ring, but on street.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

like i said before, you really have got to stop "looking for things".

at the end of the day, training is goung to be in room full of people.

if the you don't like the environment, then even if the art you choose has everything you "want" you won't enjoy it and what would be the point in that?

stop asking for things in a list. you can't just go and make a checklist of things you "want".

if you want instant gratification then i guess the simplest one would be kickboxing (but i have no idea how they train/teach that in the states).

don't think if you'd enjoy it or not. go and see for yourself.

i don't make claims about what cars are nice to drive until i've driven them so i wouldn't say if i liked a martial art until i've tried it.

like i said in my other post.

most schools let you sit in and maybe have a class or two for free.

the only thing it would cost you is maybe an hour or two but you get so much out of it.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

i think it was a good idea to ask in this forum what we make of his wishes. off course, training environment plays an important part in his (and our all) martial arts career, but what sense would it make if he finds a nice trainer, a comfortable dojo and nice people that teach a style that he does not feel compfortable with?

as far as i remember, Munkyboy wanted to be a descent fighter and to become fitter, did i get this right? and he did not ask us whether we knew in which of the dojos in his area are the friendliest people.

boxing and JJ were the ones i thought wouldnt fit the purpose at all. since i want an emphasis von knees, elbows, stricking, and kicks and not throwing+falling or just punching. no dissing of those styles meant, but i dont think i'd be happy with these.

the wushu style is somewhat original wushu. very acrobatic moves, backflips, but self defense training as well+weapon forms...

the karate here is called "karate-do". never heard of it before.

so what art (not regarding those i meantioned; maybe i just didnt do enough researches) would you advice me to check out? all in all i wish a physically challenging training and i want to learn how to fight, meaning not in the ring, but on street.

Well, you just don't have all those options. For knees, elbows, striking, and kicks I would suggest Muay Thai but, you didn't list it as available in your area. From what I know, Karate-do would mean "way of empty hand" or something like that. So it is still not clear what style of karate. (At least as far as I know, maybe there's a specific style that goes by "karate-do?")

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

the art should consists of hard stuff like punches, strikes, kicks, knees etc mixed with soft stuff, like joints, maybe a throw or two etc. philosophy is not important, but doesnt do any harm neither.

primarily striking and kicking would be good. as to sparring... whatever fits the purpose. i wanna learn street applications, no-contact sparring wouldnt be so good i guess.

whether the art contains kata or not does not matter. an art can be good with as well as without them.

i made a few researches and this is what is available in my area:

judo, JiuJitsu, Shaolin Kempo, TKD, Wushu, Shaolin Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Aikido, Boxing, Capoeira, karate, kendo and iaido.

If you want a primarily striking art then how about trying karate, kempo or TKD. Personally, though, I'd recommend you go and check out the clubs in your area - go and watch a lesson with each one and speak to the instructor. Then make up your mind based on what you have seen. There's no point in deciding that you want to do judo (for example) before you've seen what the club is like. It may be a bad club with a bad reputation - in which case you'd have to look at something else maybe. Go and have a look and maybe try a lesson. Only you really know what you're capable of and what you're looking for in a martial art. Don't forget to let us know how you get on, though! Good luck with your 'quest'.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Personally, though, I'd recommend you go and check out the clubs in your area - go and watch a lesson with each one and speak to the instructor. Then make up your mind based on what you have seen. There's no point in deciding that you want to do judo (for example) before you've seen what the club is like. It may be a bad club with a bad reputation - in which case you'd have to look at something else maybe. Go and have a look and maybe try a lesson. Only you really know what you're capable of and what you're looking for in a martial art. Don't forget to let us know how you get on, though! Good luck with your 'quest'.

For the most part, I agree with aefibird. A lot of places don't teach an art or arts one way. Many mix things up. It's never usually just Judo or just TKD. Some are geared towards different things i.e. sport or self-defense. Your best bet would be to call and/or visit the school. And, yeah, let us know how it goes. :nod:

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

well, the thing, is how many martial arts don't use hands, feet, elbows and knees?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 2 weeks later...