• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pinan shodan help

AlienRage

i am having the toughest time with the first move of pinan shodan, where you do at combo chest block + headblock in cat stance. i keep arching my back instead of keeping it straight. anyone have any tips?? :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this just in Pinan Shodan or any cat stance in general?

What style do you train in? The Pinan Series are VERY popular amoung many styles so what I am about to explain is the Matsubayshi ShorinRyu way --- the best way is for you to talk to your instructor.

Start with your feet shoulder-width apart

Step SLIGHTLY FORWARD with your right foot and pivot into your cat stance....now to help with your problem, put more emphasis on shifting your hips / buttocks back. Think of sitting on an imaginary bar stool. Make sure 90% of your body weight is on your back leg --- you should be able to lift your front leg and put it back down without barely shifting your weight. Do this in front of a mirror if you can and make sure your back is straight.

Just keep practicing that opening series since you've already pinpointed your error...good luck!

Kita

KarateForums.com Sempai

As you work in cat stance more things will improve. Try doing some everyday things around the house in cat stance. Walk down your hallway in cat stance. If someone laughs show them how easy it is to kick out of cat stance. Transition from side to side in cat stance while you brush your teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

How similar/different are the Pinan katas to Heian katas?

Just curious and keen to improve my martial arts knowledge!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

they are the same forms, just different names.

style differences are too numerous to even begin listing in a thread :)

Well, I was going to dive in here and help him out, but as soon as I saw the words "cat stance"..I decided not to, for the above mentioned quotes reasons.

We do it the old way..there are no cat stances in any of the Pinan's as we do them.

Dang..better luck next time! :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

How similar/different are the Pinan katas to Heian katas?

Just curious and keen to improve my martial arts knowledge!!

Sometimes the first and second pinan katas are reversed as heians.

Depending on the style cat stances may be replaced by kokutsu dachis.

It all comes down to which styles you are speaking of moreso than just pinan/heians in general.

In Heian Shodan (Pinan Nidan) the first movement has been altered (it's commonly been thought as to be a mistake on Funakoshi's side). While in Pinan Nidan the first movement to the left is a tate tettsui uke, in Heian Shodan (Shotokan) the kata begins with gedanbarai (low block).

In Wado-Ryu this mistake does not exist, since Kenwa Mabuni corrected Hironori Ohtsuka's kata.

That's the main difference between Heian and Pinan. In certain spots, Shotokan also uses jumping movements where other use the turning movement. There's one example of such in Pinan Godan/Heian Godan, where throw has been made into a jump in Shotokan. However, when considering the body dynamics, jumping shares certain things with throwing - I think that Funakoshi may have wanted to underline this.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland