• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tbh i dont study chinese martial arts, but virtually all martial arts use chi/ki (same thing just different languages), but if its what martial art utilises it the most i wudve thought tai chi

It's a common conception, made omre so by the use of the old Anglicanizations of the words "ji" an "qi", both into "chi".

its an art that ive really wanted to take up, but all the classes in my area are just basically aerobics, nothing that emphasises on discipline or nething, just a bunch of middle aged women in lycra prancing about,

It should have been closer to isometrics than aerobics.

hardly the "grand ultimate fist" that i hoped for

A better translation is "grand nexus boxing".

The vast majority of Tiaji taught is not taught by people compitent in the martial art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i appreciate all youve sed jerry but, still i doesnt escape the fact that anglicanized or not, all qi or ji is that same thing, nor that most martial arts utilise it, also isometrics no, aerobics yes as it is, or at least the clubs that ive been in contact with mainly concentrate on breathing...yuh better translation is appreciated, grand ultimate fist is the only translation ive ever come in contact with, and i fully agree with the incompetency of the majority of sifu's, i dont study tai chi, but i can tell a bad instructor a mile away, the only guy i know in the uk who has ever studied real tai chi had to give it up, as his instructor was chargin ppl for gradings, and as he was being paid by the health club in which he was teaching, the sifu was fcired and he had to give it up, again thanks for like the info jerry, but id still like someone who knows of a decent tai chi club in the north west of england to reply, urs in budo, stuey-san :karate:

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes

hmm,

i wonder how many of the tai chi teachers know that the chi in the name isn't the same as the chi that you practice....

as for a translation.

well, this is how i make it out to be (in cantonese).

'tai' translates into something close to 'grand'.

we refere to our great-grandparent as 'tai-po '(roughly).

'chi' is something like ultimate/extreme/very.

i think the 'grand ultimate' comes from the meaning rather than a direct translation.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

i appreciate all youve sed jerry but, still i doesnt escape the fact that anglicanized or not, all qi or ji is that same thing

I don't appear to have gotten across my meaning.

"ji", which means "nexus" is in the word Taijiquan (Grand Nexus boxing)

"qi" (as found in qigong) is a different word, which means "breath".

the "chi" in "tai-chi" is actually a completely different word then the "chi" in "chi-gong"... the two do not mean the same thing at all.

also isometrics no, aerobics yes as it is, or at least the clubs that ive been in contact with mainly concentrate on breathing.

I'm afraid that weather you breate is not the telling factor of an aerobic exercise:

aerobics: a system of physical conditioning involving exercises (as running, walking, swimming, or calisthenics) strenuously performed so as to cause marked temporary increase in respiration and heart rate

Taiji is not considered a "strenuious" exercise as performed in the park.

I'm sorry I don't know any taiji people in Englad or I'd try to hook you up. I'm sure they are hiding there somewhere ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a little off topic, but here's a cute little Chi exercise to try.

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, and get one of your chums to push you at shoulder level. Note how much you move about.

Next, stand in the same position but focus your attention at the Hara (about two inches below your bellybutton). No mystical stuff, just concentrate on that spot. Get your mate to push you again, and see if there is a difference.

Next week, 'Borrowing Force From The Ground' ;-)

PS

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.