• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i have heard many interesting stories of people focusing there chakra, ki energy, life energy etc. i was wondering if there was any martial art that actually attempted to teach this. and if so which forms?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

probably qi-gong right? i mean, it's essentially just working with your energy and getting it to work for you. some of the adepts can create small electric shocks with their energy (i've felt it. i was a skeptic once too)

i guess i wouldn't call it so much of a martial art.

maybe one of the older shaolin styles or Aikido. i know Aikido uses chi alot.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

I'm sorry, it's still not a very clear question. Do you mean arts which focus on no-contact hits? Or ones that focus on qigong? Or arts that focus on energetic hits?

There's no clear "most", as the question is nebulious. The obvious big Chi martial arts are the Neijia (internal Chinese arts) of Taiji, Bagua, and Xingyi.

i agree with Jerry.

i would also add Aikido...

but seriously, all martial arts that i've come in contact with use qi at least to some degree... although some focus on it more and try to specifically develop and apply it, whereas some others don't.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

The obvious big Chi martial arts are the Neijia (internal Chinese arts) of Taiji, Bagua, and Xingyi.

True. I do Yang Taiji, and it not only works on chi developement and channeling, it is structured (body structure) so that it does not impede the flow of qi. Qi is an integral component, not just something that you might add to your art at some later date.Taiji starts the understanding and developement of the skills necessary to use qi immediately. It teaches you to use qi not only in a fight, but in everyday life as well. If you can find a good school, I'd recomend Taiji. It will enhance any art you do, or will stand alone as a good style by itself.

Freedom isn't free!

hey, speaking of chakra. where's that term from? i was watching an anime with ninjas and they were talking about chakra a lot. but a friend said that "chakra" was a chinese thing...

i'm aware of chakra concepts. did some reading in my spare time, but i couldn't figure out where the term came from. if anyone could write back that would be great.

• 2 months later...
tbh i dont study chinese martial arts, but virtually all martial arts use chi/ki (same thing just different languages), but if its what martial art utilises it the most i wudve thought tai chi, its an art that ive really wanted to take up, but all the classes in my area are just basically aerobics, nothing that emphasises on discipline or nething, just a bunch of middle aged women in lycra prancing about, hardly the "grand ultimate fist" that i hoped for, altho having attended a few classes it does use quite a bit of breathing exercises, chi gung and all that......still if neone in the northwest of england on here knows of a traditional tai chi chuan kwoon, i wudnt mind hearing from you :karate:

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes