• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD Styles

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There's also Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan (the TKD I do). It is the same as Tang Soo Do, except for the color belt forms.

Thought TKD MDK do stem from TSD MDK, they are two seperate branches. There was a break in the MDK during the formation TKD. Many of the younger generation black belts thought it was best to go along with the new founded formation of the Taekwondo, hence the reason why we have Taekwondo, Moo Duk Kwan. However, DJN Hwang Ki, stood by his guns and did not join the new Taekwondo and continued teaching his art as he learned it. This is why you will have Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan aka Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

Jhoon Rhees system of TKD is American tkd. Not to be confused with ATA. I do American tkd. Heres a list of all the types of tkd I've heard of

American TKD

Moo Duk Kwan TKD

ITF TKD

WTF/Kukkiwon TKD

Songham TKD

Songham is the style some ATA schools do.

Long Live the Fighters!

The school I just signed on with is a Freestyle TKD school. It is TKD based, but non traditional. Forms are the traditional forms- Tan Gun, Chon Gi, Yul Guk, et al. But some of the one steps have been droped or changed, others added. Another wrinkle they add is to do the one steps both from a challenge, then from a moving, resisting opponent. You are encouraged to change things as necessary, but stay with the original form of the move. You'e also required to combine moves to make a useable and effective technique. Same thing with their self defenses. They also incorporate ideas and moves from other styles, and encourage experience in other styles. They teach Modern Arnis as a second art, and integrate it into TKD to teach flow, as well as the moves. They also teach elements of Aikijutsu and grappling. The system is in parts of Central and Eastern WA, but I don't think it has spread any further. The founder of the system is sort of a local legend. He doesn't recomend this, but he learned his art by going into biker bars in the 60's and 70's and trying it out to see what really worked. I've talked with some of my seniors in AK, and they knew and trained with him. He's a very respected martial artist by them, as well as with most of the martial artists in this region, though they agree he used to be a little wild and crazy!

Freedom isn't free!

miguksaram, I'm aware of that. I have done both. But the only difference I see is the forms for color belts. Well, and my school does grappling, but that's not part of MDK.

Anyways, lets try to stay on topic ;)

If the only difference you are seeing is the forms then you are either A) You teacher is teaching the WTF forms for organization reasons and training you in traditional TSD and not TKD or B) You need to analys the the systems more. MDK/TKD follows the the same path as all WTF TKD systems. TSD/MDK is totally different in its applications and theories.

If we must stay on topic then close the discussion because the question was already answered:

American TKD

ITF TKD

WTF/Kukkiwon TKD

Songham TKD

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh