• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OK,, has anyone had this experience??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree that taking him aside shouldn't be last resort. Good hygene is in my club's student manual. As an instructor, you shouldn't be afraid of confronting such issues. Just mention it to him, tell him there have been complaints, and that future offenses will be taken seriously. I once tried a class in another dojo with a kid who obviously didn't wash his gi all week - it was annoying.

Granted most thugs and muggers won't smell tasty either, but hey, getting away from them should only take a few ticks.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

If he is a younger student, approach his parents and let them handle it. Frankly, we have a number of students whose personal hygiene is their most deadly weapon. You grit your teeth and bear it.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

If I may offer some advice........I had a student that was also a very good friend of mine before he started training with me. His B.O was legendary!

He showered more than a fish! Then I did some asking around and it turned out he had to change his diet.His metabolism had adverse reactions to certain foods.He changed it...and actually got a girlfriend!

maybe thats worth looking into....its informatively beneficial to the whole class and less emberrassing to others.

If I may offer some advice........I had a student that was also a very good friend of mine before he started training with me. His B.O was legendary!

He showered more than a fish! Then I did some asking around and it turned out he had to change his diet.His metabolism had adverse reactions to certain foods.He changed it...and actually got a girlfriend!

I don't know why I found that funny. Sometimes I wish it was as easy as a change of diet.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 1 month later...

i'm sure there are lots of causes of BO, and not all of them are hygeine-related, but in the case i'm dealing with, it's really just a matter of smelly feet and even smellier gear. i PRAY our head instructor can get the message across to this kid or his mom. personally, i think he has an obligation to do so. i mean, when you have people paying to come to class every week, shouldn't they be entitled to a training environment that doesn't make them want to puke? (well, puking from hard training is ok... heh heh)

and as summer approaches and the dojo gets hotter and stuffier... well, something has to be done or else *i* won't make it through class either! :o

I think that reminding the whole class of the importance of good hygeine is a good idea - sometimes people need reminding of these sort of things, especially as it is getting into warmer weather now.

If all else fails then you'll have to take the person aside and have a quiet word with them.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I trained with a woman who had double whammy of VERY stinky feet and female hygiene issues. Very unpleasant to work with especially during partner stretches :( . Everyone just tried to avoid being her partner, I don't think either she or the instructor caught on. Everyone was too embarrassed to tell her. What do you do with such an intimate problem?