• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OK,, has anyone had this experience??

Has anyone out there experienced a problem with a students hygiene? I have a slight issue... I have a larger student, that is clean and his gi is clean,,, but when he starts working out,,,, the odor is unbearable and I have had several students complain about it. They do not want to work with him as a partner.

Has anyone had this situation?? :dodgy:

"If it is not hard, it is not worth doing."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ohhhh yes. There is always at least ONE student who has B.O. problems!!! Just make a general announcement to the class, telling everyone to keep their gis and bodies clean, but also stress the importance of a powerful deodorant. See the humour in the situation, and portray this to your students, rather than simply lecturing them on hygiene. Make sure they understand the seriousness of the situation, however. It's very difficult to focus on technique when your attention is devoted to staying conscious in spite of strong odors!

EDIT: I had a really awesome fainting smiley here, but it isn't working :(

Edited by monkeygirl

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Thanks for your replies. I will make an announcement when he is in class. At the dojo where I train, we actually had a guy that smelled so bad, that some of us actually threw up after class. :( Very offensive!

"If it is not hard, it is not worth doing."

I disagree. Rather than announce it to the class, take him aside when not many people are around and tell him. I'm sure everyone (as you've said) knows he has the problem. Telling everyone like (even if it's a "general announcement") that I'm sure will cause people to look at him, possibly make comments i.e. "Here that ____? hahaha." I know I'd be very embarrassed if I was him, although I'd never allow myself to have that problem. ;) Granted, I'm no teacher.
“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

Hybrid, you make a good point. However, I think pulling him aside could be a last resort...it's always good to remind all of the students to keep themselves clean and fresh-smelling, not just the guilty ones. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hybrid, you make a good point. However, I think pulling him aside could be a last resort...it's always good to remind all of the students to keep themselves clean and fresh-smelling, not just the guilty ones. :)

Yeah, that's true. I guess it depends on the kind of class you have. :)

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

Has anyone out there experienced a problem with a students hygiene? I have a slight issue... I have a larger student, that is clean and his gi is clean,,, but when he starts working out,,,, the odor is unbearable and I have had several students complain about it. They do not want to work with him as a partner.

Has anyone had this situation?? :dodgy:

Proper hygeine should be part of the MA school rules. I do agree that pulling a student aside could lead to humiliation and resentment, and should be a last resort. But if good hygeine is a rule that all students must be familiar with as part of their curriculum, then a simple reminder--maybe via a monthly newsletter--might work wonders.

It's important that each and every student know and believe that good hygeine is as much a show of respect to their fellow students as a bow or other salutation. Moreover, good hygeine in the MA school is an important health issue.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

• 5 months later...